Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Balteus apron straps
Quote:Is that how the originals were Brian? Even then, how do we know this stud was not simply peened instead of being bent? I know for myself that having bent a few shafts instead of peening with a washer has resulted in the item falling off eventually...

And Allen, the way you are doing it is not suboptimal. It is the way the originals were made.

I was aware that belt plates and possibly certain styles of strap terminal where cut from sheet and stamped/filed to taste, but was under the impression that certain (many, most?) apron stud designs (as well as some terminal designs) where cast? Perhaps it might be best if I posted up pictures of the current work in progress for a critique? I'll try to do that this evening when I get home.
- Allen Freeman
That would be interesting. I am about to start my own, and it would be good to see some other work in progress before I totally destroy mine.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I was aware that belt plates and possibly certain styles of strap terminal where cut from sheet and stamped/filed to taste, but was under the impression that certain (many, most?) apron stud designs (as well as some terminal designs) where cast? Perhaps it might be best if I posted up pictures of the current work in progress for a critique? I'll try to do that this evening when I get home.

I've seen examples of studs that were cast (both head and shank - common for inlaid examples), cast but then the head worked out into sheet (leaving the cast shank - you find this with stamped examples such as the Flavian portrait studs), and made from sheet with the shank formed by rolling or folding some of the sheet... all in the same museum ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:That would be interesting. I am about to start my own, and it would be good to see some other work in progress before I totally destroy mine.

I wouldn't be too concerned. If I can flail as hard as I have on this project and still get passable results (jury's out on that one) you shouldn't have anything to be concerned about. Here are the photos.

[Image: n1055488021_154075_7277.jpg]

[Image: n1055488021_154076_7524.jpg]

[Image: n1055488021_154077_7762.jpg]

For the rest of the belt I haven't settled on which buckle I'm going to pattern on, frogs should be pretty straightforward, and I likewise haven't decided the particulars of the belt plates yet (still working on figuring out how to replicate concentric rings effectively with the modest tools I have available). Any criticism or suggestions are most welcome.
- Allen Freeman
Looks very good!
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Jesus...that makes my belt look like crap lol. I'd say you're doing a fantastic job Allen. Smile

Legion: TBD
I'll say! A laud for your good work, Allen!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Yes, I will agree there 100% Great work. And you made all the fittings yourself? Confusedhock:

I'l just crawl back in my corner and try to get the leather cut........ :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Yes, I will agree there 100% Great work. And you made all the fittings yourself? Confusedhock:

I'l just crawl back in my corner and try to get the leather cut........ :oops:

Wow, thanks everyone! Not the reaction I was expecting, especially considering this is a first effort. Not to worry thought, I still have ample opportunity to screw this up on the buckle and belt plates.

I did fabricate all of the fittings myself. Really, it's not that difficult, just hideously time consuming given I'm working with hand tools. Not having power tools to work with is kind of a mixed blessing, the work goes so slowly that any serious mistakes happen in slow motion and are thus pretty easily caught before they get out of hand.

Here's the process I've been using so far:

1. Draft piece (1:1 scale) on graph paper
2. Trace cut lines on draftsman's vellum (I happen to have a ton lying around since it comes in REALLY handy for leather tooling projects)
3. Cut draftsman's vellum with pattern to fit on a bar of K&S hobby brass of whatever thickness looks appropriate for the given piece
4. Tape pattern down, special care is taken here to ensure the vellum lifts as little as possible during cutting. I've also heard glueing patterns down works well, but I've been too impatient to try it.
5. Cut out exterior outline of part with jeweler's saw. I've found that extra fine blades provide a better cut overall but they're so easy to break that working with these can be a nightmare. Buy a few dozen before you get started.
6. drill pilot holes and perform interior cut/pierce work as necessary.
7. file edges to taste (time consuming)
8. etch any punchwork needed onto the part with the end of a small file
9. punch design with a small nail

For the apron studs I skipped all the nonsense with patterning and the jeweler's saw and just marked squares on a 3/4 inch sheet of hobby brass, drilled the center holes, then cut each square out & rounded them up with a set of sheet metal shears before filing the edges and doing the punchwork.

I've been patterning my pieces based on replicas found here:

www.hr-replikate.de
- Allen Freeman
Yes, they are some of the best replicas available!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
phaedrus:2oxq1961 Wrote:I was aware that belt plates and possibly certain styles of strap terminal where cut from sheet and stamped/filed to taste, but was under the impression that certain (many, most?) apron stud designs (as well as some terminal designs) where cast? Perhaps it might be best if I posted up pictures of the current work in progress for a critique? I'll try to do that this evening when I get home.

I've seen examples of studs that were cast (both head and shank - common for inlaid examples), cast but then the head worked out into sheet (leaving the cast shank - you find this with stamped examples such as the Flavian portrait studs), and made from sheet with the shank formed by rolling or folding some of the sheet... all in the same museum ;-) )

Mike Bishop

If you have any pictures I'd love to see them.
- Allen Freeman
For attaching your pattern pieces to the brass, try any of the quick drying spray glues. You can spray the back of the vellum and the fronts of the brass parts, wait about as long as it takes to invert the glue can and clear the spray nozzle, then stick them together. Done.

The glue residue comes right off with lacquer thinner, Bestine, or nail polish remover when the time comes.

Don't use spray glue on leather, though. It doesn't come off at all. :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:For attaching your pattern pieces to the brass, try any of the quick drying spray glues. You can spray the back of the vellum and the fronts of the brass parts, wait about as long as it takes to invert the glue can and clear the spray nozzle, then stick them together. Done.

The glue residue comes right off with lacquer thinner, Bestine, or nail polish remover when the time comes.

Don't use spray glue on leather, though. It doesn't come off at all. :?

Huh. I'll have to give that a try on the frogs. I have to admit the thought of having to mess with acetone or whatever to get the pattern off afterwards is kind of a turnoff but if it increases the precision of the cut sufficiently it may well be worth the hassle. Thanks for the advice!
- Allen Freeman
The paper will probably peel off, especially good paper like vellum. But some glue residue may stick to the brass. A cotton ball and a few drops of solvent will take it off, and leave little to polish later.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Allen I do think that I stand corrected just a little on how the studs were fitted to the apron of a belt. There is the method you have used however if you check out the pics' posted by Tarbicus you will find that the studs are fitted with what are known as "Bell Caps" not flat washers. as well.These are a marvelous piece of Roman engineering innovation, it was not until I came across these things and began makeing and useing them that I found just how great they are. I now of course have some originals that I have found that are fitted to various things they are wonderfull. Infact if you should like to give me a PM I can give you a bit more info' on these things. There is also that I put a Roman buckle into the British Museum which is the first of it's type ever to be found in Britain I found it metal detecting some years back might be able to help you with a copy on that
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hanging straps on balteus? Gaius Colletti 44 10,334 05-05-2011, 02:47 AM
Last Post: mcbishop