Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Creating an acurrate Loculus
Deer, goat, sheep, elk, reindeer, etc., are from a class of animals that yield stretchy leather. It's possible to use them for suspension straps, but it would make for more maintenance. Chances are horse, mule, or cow would be better for seg suspension strips. No doubt some leather expert on the forum can give more light on that subject than I, but that's been my experience from sewing and using deerskin clothing vs cowskin, for example. I'll take deer any time.

Cowhide can be tanned soft, to make similar traits, but not as stretchy as goat, and I think the process and chemicals that convert cow leather to deer-like leather are modern. Cowhide is generally stiffer than goat. There is stretchy leather in the belly of cows, which is why it's cheaper than back and shoulder, and less desirable for things like bags, straps and belts.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I believe almost all 3rd century belt material found in bogs in Northeren Europe was either goat or sheep leather.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I'm sure you're right, Mummius. And if the bag body were sewn from goat, you would want reinforcement straps to keep it in its original shape better. Otherwise, it would be too stretchy, most likely, should you put anything heavy in it.

I learned that a simple 19th cent shooting bag (possibles bag) needs some kind of reinforcement, too, for the same reasons. Most of those were much smaller, though than the average loculus.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.