Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signifier Headresses
Ave!<br>
<br>
I am new but I have been reading several threads and I must say, this site is awesome. I've learned a lot and I've realized that there's a also a great deal that I don't know.<br>
<br>
My interest lies with the headresses of the signifiers. From what I've read so far there are many kinds of headresses used: wolf, bear, leopard, and lion. I was under the impression that the lion headress was used by the praeotians or aquilifers only. I have also read somewhere that aquilifers (as opposed to signifiers, did not wear headresses...(?)<br>
<br>
My questions are: Does any particular headress mean anything? Do they imply rank among the signifiers or are they choosen merely on what is available or what fancies a particular signifier? Are the animals killed by the signifer (helped by other legionnaires) or are they passed on from one signifier to the next? Are there other exotic headresses (giraffe, tiger, feathers)?<br>
<br>
Any comments would be greatly appreciated! <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=manatrakoolmd>Manatrakoolmd</A> at: 9/5/04 12:27 am<br></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
by my knowledge, the aquilifer also sometimes had an animal over their helmet. I remember that the lion was only worn by the preatorians. I think that the animal was a personal choice, although the origins of the animals is probably related to the original Roman tribes - together with the old aquilia) - and it looks great to! The republican velites for example always had a wolf for headdress.<br>
I don´t think that the animal was personally killed by the person, i think he just bought it on the market.<br>
<br>
I have never heard of an exotic animal for headdress, just wolfs, lions, bears. <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings -- they did it by killing all those who opposed them.<br>
<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Thank you very much for the info. It certainly helps a lot! <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Signum and Signifier TomArchie 3 1,672 11-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Signum Standard and Signifier TomArchie 0 708 11-15-2014, 01:30 AM
Last Post: TomArchie
  Signifier and Optio 1st Century BC RKotern 41 9,811 08-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Lunico