Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheeler great strategy vs Alan raids
The points are fews but the question is interesting for a discussion:

in the 75-76 years under Vespasian, we know from inscriptions roman soldiers help the Iberians to fortify some of their cities
F.Josephus speak of Alans which overrun Media Atropatene and Armenia having a free passage thanks of king of Hyrcania; other sources confim the alan raids
between 72-76 two legions are placed in Cappadocia, Svetonius tell us this is necessary for barbarian incursion always more frequent
Commangene is annexed in 72 because a possible plot with the parthians
The Alans in the last quarter of I century affirm themself as new nomadic power in european steppes and north of caucasus, at place of Aorsi (probably entered in alliance with the new group)

Wheeler (companion roman army) argument that the roman actions (buildings in Iberia, legions in Cappadocia and COmmagene annexion, and others actions taken in roman east) are all part of a big strategic encirclement of Tiridate's Armenia, which being under a Arsacid king (but always roman vassal) are no more a buffer state for protect the Cappadocia.

Personally I think, but i suppose some scholars have affirmed this from a Wheeler phrase (Isaac? Whittaker?), that the legions placed in Cappadocia and Iberian fortresses are consequences of Alan raids which touch also the Cappadocia after the Armenia (like happen under Adrian), not a gigantic great strategic plan to neutralize a roman vassal.

I have no time to make a complete exposition, but I'm interested in your opinion.

ciao
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with Trans-Rhine Raids 1stCent AD Kevinus 3 1,780 01-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Kevinus
  Wheeler\'s FIREPOWER paper Goffredo 4 1,893 07-02-2002, 02:04 AM
Last Post: Muzzaguchi