Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emperors on phalerae
I know that there is a blue glass phalerae with the Emperor Drusus (?).

Is there any evidence of cupric alloy or silver phalerae with the emperors image on them.
I know that in B&C 2 there is a mention of cupric alloy phalerae found in Newstead. However, in B&C2, there is a question mark as to wether it is an image (of an emperor ?) or imago.

The reason I am interested in this issue is becuase the Sertorius Festus grave Stela shows a phalerae with a wreath around it. Most (Curle, and the Curator at the Verona museum I spoke to) have described the central phalerae as a medusa or gorgon.

My problem is why would a wreath (laurel ?) be around a Medusa. Would it not make more sense to be around the image of an emperor?

Thus in making a set of phalerae, would it be "accurate" to put the image of an emperor on a chest phalerae. I would choose Claudius since my kit will be mid 1st Century AD.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Paolo

I know of one phalera from Germany with a wreath around it in bronze foil with a bust of an emperor or god in the centre (?). The point is, the head of the bust is missing, but the breast is shown wearing a curas familiair with the curasses worn by the emperors on glass phalerae. I'll see if i can find a picture

Maarten

cohors XV Vol c.R.
classis Augusta germanica
www.paxromana.nl
Maarten Dolmans

Marcus Claudius Asclepiades

COHORS XV VOL. C. R.
CLASSIS AUGUSTA GERMANICA

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.paxromana.nl">www.paxromana.nl
Thanks for the information. I am looking foward to the pictures.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo