Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At least 12 new Late Roman helmets from Koblenz, Germany
thank you, but sadly it's in german, and I do not speak it.
Anybody knows if is there an english version ?
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Quote:thank you, but sadly it's in german, and I do not speak it.
Anybody knows if is there an english version ?

Unfortunately it is published only in german for now...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
OK, I received my copy yesterday. I even brought it with me to work to read a few pages.. I'm hooked Big Grin

Some of the findings:
- Pieces from at least 12 helmets have been identified. The depot seems to have been remains of damaged helmets and shieldbosses. The helmets were not only all badly damaged before they were buried, but also dismantled with brute force.
- 1 belongs to what Miks classifies as the Deurne-Berkasovo type 1 (comparable to the Deurne, Brkasovo I and Burgh Castle types, with a bowl made from 6 parts.
- 7 belong to what Miks classifies as the Deurne-Berkasovo type 2 (comparable to the Berkasovo 2 types, with a bowl made from 2 parts.
- 4 belong to to what Miks classifies as the Dunapentele-Intercisa.
- the thickness of the iron was only between 1 and 1.5 mm!!
- the gilded silver was gilded on both sides of the sheet, which made Miks assume that this was a material used not just for helmets (after all, what use is gold on a side that can't be seen) but for many more purposes. I must add that this would tie in with the idea that these helmets were introduced because their production would be cheaper than that of the previous gallic series. The gilded silver was an argument against that, it seemed too speacial and costly.
- some Berkasovo types do not seem to have had a base ring (on which the bowl and guard plated were mounted). However, Miks warns that since most of the finds were in (small) pieces, we should not conclude this too rashly.

More later.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Interesting Robert. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but I'm looking forward to it!

Barbara, did you end up taking any new pictures when you went to the museum?

I'd love some more of the other helmets Smile
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
I was there on thursday last week and it was really fine - but unfortunately they had this brilliant reflecting securityglass showcases, so I will have to photoshop the pictures first. I made lots of pictures, so hopefully there's something usable among them.

The interessting thing was that they did not clean all the fragments, the small ones (shown on the bookcover) are still in the estate they did find them. Only the big pieces were restored.

The other helmets presented there where well known. Concerning the Augsburg ones thex had copys of two gold-plated ones and the original of one without gilting. the fernpass helmet was really interessting. I had a little discussion with a friend from the university of innsbruck where the helmet was brought after they found it... :-) ) No fake at all, whatever one may think.
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Unphotoshoped pictures can be found here: http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/K ... 8/?start=0

but they really are no masterpieces! ;-) )
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Wow, what is that last helmet?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sassanid banded helmet.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Unphotoshoped pictures can be found here: http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g51/K ... 8/?start=0
but they really are no masterpieces! ;-) )

Thanks Barbara! they look good enough to me! Sadly, no pictures of the Iatrus helmet.. that one always tends to be forgotten, even when it's a hybrid that should generate some interest! Sadly, it's a poor ugly duckling that looks rusty and ungainly.. not like the gilded shiny stars of the show! Cry

That Bieberwier/Fernpass one now seems to attract all the attention - so far I'm not sure if it's Roman! Big Grin

Quote: the fernpass helmet was really interessting. I had a little discussion with a friend from the university of innsbruck where the helmet was brought after they found it... :-) ) No fake at all, whatever one may think.

Any chances of dating it? It was a stray find I understand, no chance of dating it trrough context then. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Yes, correct, probably from Amlash (Iran) and not shure dated to the 6th/7th century AD
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman helmets with one-piece bowls LWMM 2 1,168 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Interesting lesson on the development of the late roman helmets Virilis 1 2,235 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Images of Late Roman Helmets Flavivs Aetivs 2 1,464 07-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs