Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest Pictures Gladiators of Ars Dimicandi
i dont see a prob (this is just a opion ) when both combatens know the rules and are trained to a hight standered

P.S speaking as a Roman who fights in kit in shows in Ireland the worst injury i had so far was a burseed ego 8)
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Quote:You tell me nothing new about hitting each other on the helmet! And I know from my own experience that a right push with the scutum is much more effective.

Bit strange style, but accepted. However scutum is slow, and once it is turned than it is hard to get back it to position. Anyway I like to attack with my shild (as mainly thracian I have to Wink )

Aurelianus\\n[quote]
I just hit at the fact that I've seen several fights of Ars Dimicandi where they hit the helmets all too often and much more for show effect - nice sound - than anything else (even when they could place a nice “stabâ€
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
Relating to Josh's statement about using wooden weapons. The swords we use are of carved red oak and allow for fast, hard hitting with minimal injury (bruising only so far) since we principally thrust with them (as seems to have been the practice in the arena due to the small, light nature of the weapons). The only weapons not made of carved wood are the trident and hasta. Both of the ones we use are made of needle-felt, for hard hitting (but safe) action. So far, the worst injuries we've sustained are a broken finger (when grappling, not by a weapon), sliced open fingers (cut on a metal manica), and traumatised "mountain oysters" (impacted with a trident).
Quote:So please do not compare "weekend festival actors" with "warriors".
At least this is what the videos show me linked in this topic.
You know 300....this disappointing movie...but remember just one Q and A: "What is your job?"

I consider myself a "weekend festival actor", and I am proud of it but what do you exactly mean when you describe yourself as a warrior?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:
Opifex:1hhbr3p7 Wrote:So please do not compare "weekend festival actors" with "warriors".
At least this is what the videos show me linked in this topic.
You know 300....this disappointing movie...but remember just one Q and A: "What is your job?"

I consider myself a "weekend festival actor", and I am proud of it but what do you exactly mean when you describe yourself as a warrior?

Ave!

I am not member of Ars Dimicand. I just sow both mentioned group several time in live and on videos. So it was my private opinion only.

About me. However I am not a warrior, but i have a fix imagination what it could mean 2000 years ago. Since I was 6 at least one training per day.
Full contact karate, ju-do, several full contact fights till submission or KO. 10+ years with sword and parma in my hand (3 trainings per week in Collegium Gladiatorium 10 training camps at least in CG.)
And few years working in the night, war on the Balkan, when I speak about reality... That was sad anyway...

Something else regarding the authenticity of roman gladiator equipments. It is always a strange question for me. You know I am not professional I just read and follow what smart historians and archeologist say.

Did the technology exists? Yes
Were these people at least as smart as we are? Yes
Was only one place where gladiators fought (Pompeii)? No
Do we have arenas 1000 and 1000 miles from Rome? Yes we have with different cultures in different countries. e.g. El-jem, Aquincum (south, North east)
So if till today anybody did not dig out a peace of manica or a shield painting (which rotten of course), what we read about anyway, what we can reproduce with the same tools with the same technology that surly Romans used, why Romans did not create the tool / equipment if they could and if it was the solution for a problem?

Just example here. *if it is incorrect and not true, correct me please.

Plate Manica.. how many times we (C.G.) got that: It is not authentic, it was not in Pompeii... for further details here is a link which I believe more. But it is true it was not found in Pompeii.. :wink:
http://www.romanarmy.net/manica.htm

Vale
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
Quote:...And few years working in the night, war on the Balkan, when I speak about reality... That was sad anyway...

Ok, that's real and hard.

Thanx for the explanation.

Vale!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new book by Ars Dimicandi hephestus 13 5,039 06-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Last Post: michiann
  New clip Gladiators fight by Ars Dimicandi Velite 6 3,411 12-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Velite
  Video Ars Dimicandi Gladiators - Season 2007 hephestus 6 3,601 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Last Post: hephestus