Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Pugio question!
For how long where the pugio in use? What is the latest known reference or find? Did the soldiers still have it when the Legions left Britain?

I´m working on a mid 5th c warrior from scandinavia who has served in the Empire and returned. A really cool thing is that on Öland there is very gladii looking swords in at least two graves from the period 450 AD - 550 AD. Very intersesting.

Thanx in advance!
We certainly have third century finds (Coptall Court London and Kunzing Germany) but I do not recall any finds dated as late as 5th C.
thank you!
Single-edged knives have been found in graves combined with Roman military belt-fittings for the 4th-5th centuries.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
hi, I have longly studied pugiones in all their peculiarities, like when they "born" and "die" , where in the Empire were used and who used them , the building tecnology and so on.
My opinion is that , after the end of the 2th century , first half of the third , pugiones were no more in the roman panoplia , and they evolved in other kind of dagger.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Quote:Single-edged knives have been found in graves combined with Roman military belt-fittings for the 4th-5th centuries.

I have a picture of one from the BM, sopmewhere
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
lets us see it , Gaius. Big Grin
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Quote:
Urselius:15hlxtoe Wrote:Single-edged knives have been found in graves combined with Roman military belt-fittings for the 4th-5th centuries.

I have a picture of one from the BM, sopmewhere

Do you mean the 4th C "gallic" knives like these that are found from Pannonia to Britannia? Sometimes found in conjunction with other weapons and belt fittings.

Hmmmm...I'm obviously being a bit of a cabbage. Why does the image show as a link, not as the image itself?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Roughly similat to that yes...I will post it once I get it on Photobucket.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:For how long where the pugio in use? What is the latest known reference or find? Did the soldiers still have it when the Legions left Britain?
They never left Britain. :wink:

I doubt that the pugio was still in fashion, although it could have been in use. But they don't turn up in early 5th-c. British funeral finds.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leeuwen Pugio hilt question...rivets Doc 0 839 07-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Pugio hilt question MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 40 7,225 09-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crispvs