Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thracian equipment
Salvete,

Someone in my group would like to do a Thracian gladiator impression.

There are a lot of experienced gladiators on this forum and I do not know as much about this subject as I would want. that's why I'd like to ask some questions to the experts.

He was thinking about this equipment offered by Pavel Marek armoury: http://www.armorymarek.com/katalog/rome ... s/m5_.html

or this helmet: http://www.armorymarek.com/katalog/rome ... /p16-.html

And this sword: http://www.armorymarek.com/katalog/rome ... 0-%20.html

Or this sword: http://www.armorymarek.com/katalog/rome ... 0-%20.html

I'm looking forward to your opinions on this gear. What would you suggest for a Thracian? Any info is very welcome!

Thanks in advance,
Valete,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Pavel Marek makes wonderfull stuff! We have the y10 sword and I must say, it's one of my favorites. Very nice to handle!

Don't go for the armor m5. Helmet p16 is useable for Thracian impression.
ALA I BATAVORUM
That helmet is very well made, at least in the angle we can see. I think Thracian helmets most frequently had a gorgon head on the tip of that curved crest. If you could find one or get one made, it looks like it could be attached pretty easily.

I think I'd favor the y10 sica, also. It seems to look more like the ones I've seen in pictures of mosaics. It also looks less likely to *really* kill your opponent. The other one is way too dangerous looking!

Add a small scutum, with or without a boss, and padding on the sword arm, and you should be all set!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi Jef,
as you might have guessed I handled the order for the sword (and the Y11 trident)
If you sent me a pm or e-mail, I'll give you all the details you need.
Cheers,
Wim van Broekhoven a.k.a. Cordvs
Pvblivs Cordvs
(Wim van Broekhoven)
CORBVLO
Salve Marce,

The stuff shown on your first link looks very much like a fantasy gladiator (though a bit closer to reality than the ones in "Gladiator")

The helmet of the second link looks good although the calotte looks a bit high similar to the murmillo helmet from Deepeeka.

Although there is a find of a wooden sica which is curved which resembles your third link I still would favor the angled one as per your fourth link. This is close to the frescoes from Pompeii, and Junkelmann has reconstructed this type as well. For training purposes (trying out the thraex) I use an angled wooden sica like that.

Vale,
Don't forget the big greaves.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
We have had very good experience with the quality of Pavels workmanship.
As Medusa said m5 is total fantasy.
As the helmet you can both take p16 or x69 as both are appropriate for a thraex.
The Griffin Protone can be provided by Pavel.
Both Sicae of Pavel are good but y9 s more appropriate for a thraex post the augustian reforms. Tell Pavel that you need it for show fighting as he will provide a narrow edge siutable for sharpening otherwise.
You will also need the high greeves (x72).
He speaks usable english and german so just wirte him an email and he will be happy to help you.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
It's a griffin head, not a gorgon. The gorgon head is appropriate for the pectorale of a provocator, there is pictorial evidence for this.
Pecunia non olet
You are right, John, I was wrong. Not sure why I said gorgon...I really do know better.

Besides, a gorgon head would just turn the opponent to stone, and how much of a contest would that be, anyhow? OTOH, maybe that's how they got all those great statues of gladiators... :lol: :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
OK sorry same mistake by me...
Corrected my post
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Thanks everyone for your valuable advice, I really appreciate it! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST