Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman miltary sights in Turkey
I might be traveling to Turkey this winter with a seminar, and would like to make a presentation on the Roman army/battle of no later than the first century C.E. connected to one of the sites we will be visiting. The trip will cover Istanbul, Troia, Alexandria Troas, Assos, Pergamum, Smyrna, Ephesus, Priene, Miletus, Didyma, Sardis, Philadelphia, Hierapolis, Aphrodisias, Antalya, Perga, Aspendos, Antioch of Pisidia, Iconium, Ankara, Tarsus, Antioch, and Zeugma. A good candidate would the battle of Magnesia, but we might not travel through the actual sight. Any other ideas?

Thank you,
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Between Ankara and Tarsus is the Cilician Gate, and between Tarsus and Antioch is the battlefield of Issus. Ignoring Nemrud Dagi is most unusual. I see that you leave out the northwest; otherwise, Zela and Satala. Bon voyage!!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thank you, Jona!

You are right, we will not be going to the northwest, and since I would like to speak on the Roman army, it looks like Magnesia is my best shot.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

I envy you. Good luck on your trip! Big Grin
Michael Paglia
Ave M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER,

Good luck on your trip. I would love to see photos of the area near Satala if you get up into the northeast of Turkey.

Let me know how your trip was.

Me.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Unfortunately, the trip does not cover Satala.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman cavalry mask discovered in Adrianople, Turkey Robert Vermaat 0 240 02-23-2022, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Roman (related) must sees in Turkey? Folkert van Wijk 8 1,750 05-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Folkert van Wijk
  Looted Roman Chamfron Found in Northwestern Turkey MeinPanzer 7 2,111 04-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Robert