Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurions Wearing Lorica Segmentata...?
Quote:I was a little surprised one time to find that on the Trajan Collumn we find that the Emperor Trajan even wore a Lorica Segmentata.

Goodness, I don't remember that! Been a while since I looked at any pictures of the Column, though, and I wasn't looking at Trajan himself. Can anyone tell us what scene that's in, or post a picture or link, please?

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Actually, there isn't a lot of evidence for what centurions wear...there's a handful of grave steles that show them in hamata and squamata, and that is it. That isn't representative of the sheer number of centurions during the time that the seggie was in use.

Legion: TBD
Quote:PhilusEstilius wrote:
I was a little surprised one time to find that on the Trajan Collumn we find that the Emperor Trajan even wore a Lorica Segmentata.

Matt wrote:
Goodness, I don't remember that! Been a while since I looked at any pictures of the Column, though, and I wasn't looking at Trajan himself. Can anyone tell us what scene that's in, or post a picture or link, please?

I too would like to know where Brian!

I studied the entire Column twice today to try and find the image, but in every scene where Trajan is depicted he is either;

a. Togate
b. Wearing musclulata
I can't remember the scene off hand but I do remember seeing a side view of the Emperor that shows horizontal lines, he is also wearing his cloak therefore one can't see the upper portions of it but definate horizontal lines.
Brian Stobbs
Hi Philus/Brian, even with your added clues, like Peroni/Adrian, I can't find any such image from the Column - and I have several photo-sets, and have in the past made detailed sketches of the un-deteriorated plaster copies.

Is it possible your memory is mistaken? Or perhaps you have interpreted the typical Senior Officer's sash with knot of Hercules worn horizontally over Lorica 'Musculata' as your 'horizontal lines?

Can you give us a reference number for ther scene or description of the scene you had in mind e.g. 'Adlocutio scene, Trajan facing right addressing legionaries and auxiliaries, wearing cloak, senior officer behind, T. gesturing with right hand' or similar to help locate the scene you have in mind?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 611 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,143 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 659 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong