Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pot smoking Celts?????
Interesting topic over at Kelticos ...

http://www.kelticos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=499
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I might have missed it but nobody seemed to cite any evidence for clay pipes?

Someone (Pliny?) talks of smoking dried coltsfoot leaves through a reed as a remedy but not through a fabricated pipe.

The Scythians (according to Herodotus) used to just chuck it on the fire...I expect other cultures did the same.

The amount of THC that you get from naturally occurring, uncultivated strains grown outdoors in North Western europe is so low that you'd have to burn it by the bale to get a decent hit.

Allegedly.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
But then they would have a lower resistence and still get a hit from it , you would imagine.... :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If they had been getting high on it you can bet they would have developed a sytem for personally smoking it. No evidence for that so Confusedhock:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Perhaps they just drank infusions of it? Would a healthy ancient actually want to inhale smoke, when there were other
ways of imbibing.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I don't recall Caesar mentioning anything about hemp in Gaul.
Herodotus did when speaking of the Scythians or Massagetae. He got it wrong, claiming they burned the seeds while hunkering in small tents. But-- (as we all know)-- the seeds alone make you sick. Obviously, they smoked the entire bud... leaving the unburned seeds for Herodotus to find. :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb