Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Japanese Sandals (Waraji)
I'm making a set of Japanese sandals to go along with a reenactment impression that I am hoping to get some work done on over this coming winter. The cost of the jutte twine was about $4.00 for the thick and thin stuff, and I put together the weaving frame using some scrap wood and dowel bits. The biggest part is just the time it takes to weave them.

I hope they fit!

Legion: TBD
We wore waraji on stage as part of our costumes for the part of the 47 Ronin in the kabuki play Chushingura. They were very comfortable yet remarkably sturdy.

Let us know how your project turns out.

May we guess that your new "impression" is that of a Samurai or perhaps an ashigaru?

Good luck!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I know you like to make things for yourself, and you will do an excellent job. I did find them online:

www.e-budostore.com/footwear.htm

They are a bit scratchy, and I do recomend wearing tabi. I dont know how well they wear. The feel is a bit different from Westen footwear. The toes do hang over the front, and it allows your toes a good purchase on climbing and things. With tabi you don't scratch your toes up on rocks or rough objects, and you don't bleed on the rug.

Ralph I.
Hey Ralph/David,

Well, I got one finished. They fit well, and as you mention Ralph my toes do hang over a bit. Tabi are a must...so I'll be purchasing some very soon. I took the sandal off of the weaving frame in order to finish the toes, otherwise I'm not sure how I would have done it, since I was running out of room to physically "weave" the twine. Turned out ok though. In all, about 7 hours or so of weaving, which isn't bad and is actually quite relaxing.

This is the pattern I used as a guide:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/T ... pgfull.jpg

very cool!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks dude!

So...

When you are ready a photo or two of you wearing the waraji would be welcome that we might see your handi-work in action (so to speak).

Looking forward to seeing them.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Well done!!!! be advised your toes should stick outside the front rim of the waraji.

ill put up a pic of mine soon.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.