Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And one more Celtic sword
This one from the time of the Roman invasions. Note the "cockade" scabbard mouth echoing the Hod Hill sword- and the strange baldric loop. Very ornate pommel. Any ideas?
[Image: IMG_2589.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2588.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2587.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
We reckon the scabbards with the middle runners might be ones to be carried on the back (as per the chalk figures).

[Image: chalk%20figures.jpg]

If you use one on a baldric/waist belt, then the sword just keeps tipping over UNLESS you have extra straps to support the top or the bottom of the scabbard and that starts covering up the decoration on the throat.
The chapes look like they _might_ have formed part of the method but not in all cases.

Quite how you devise a method to suspend one on your back is open to interpretation. The chalk figures look to have straps around their middles ?. I remade my last one into a top mounted/two ring suspension in the end.

However, I have a blade and partly made 2-piece metal scabbard to finish up and I'll be trying to suspend that effectively enough to fight with (which is the most important thing - if you cannot actually run about and fight with your spear then it's not a good method).

[/img]

[size=150:1nectqej]John Nash[/size]
http://www.vicus.org.uk
Romans and Britons wot fight ........
Excellent thought Madoc Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
in the small, confined space in a chariot then drawing a sword off your back is liable to result in cutting the chap behind.

It's not a very practical thing when it comes to putting it back either ...

.. but it looks so "conan" .............

I was thinking of more the guy at the back using it. Dismounting, fighting, then jump back on when hard pressed. yes Conan had crossed my mind Big Grin lol: intresting pics of thoughs figures. The first time I have seen them and as can be seen swords slung on the back Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Quote:If you use one on a baldric/waist belt, then the sword just keeps tipping over UNLESS you have extra straps to support the top or the bottom of the scabbard and that starts covering up the decoration on the throat.

Is that with a flat belt ?

Did you place the loop facing the back or facing away?

Perhaps a plaited/braided belt section which fills the loop thus not allowing tipping?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Is it possible that the position of the loop could mean it was a sword hung from a saddle, or is that historically impossible.
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
I've had a go at numerous things with the centred runner and in all cases, a single belt just doesn't do the trick. I am sure there must be a way to do it with multiple straps.

The idea of it being chariot or horse mounted is something we ain't tried. I'll make up the next one and have my wife hang it from the horse and see.

To be fair, any interpretation is as good as the next as we don't know.

Interesting swords. Are these in the BM? What section?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Britain Celtic 1st Century AD Shield + Sword Belt Antoninus05 12 5,193 03-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Last Post: bloodseekerboi1
  Celtic Squared end sword Andy 7 3,122 12-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Conal
  Photos- First century Celtic sword Caballo 2 1,980 08-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Last Post: john m roberts