Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Herculaneum soldier
Thats what I see?

Also, is that the pugio under his left thigh bone?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Also, is that the pugio under his left thigh bone?
Probably, though it rests pretty deep compared to the belt. The text I have states that he was found with some carpenter tools, which he's supposed to have carried along in a shoulder bag and perhaps the thing under his left thigh is one of these tools (... but my first guess was still the puggio).
Additionally I read he was found to have worn a "money belt". I dunno what one would look like, so may be the strange belt discussed before is no military item at all, but his money belt. :? just a guess, although I wonder why it came in the position on the scabbard.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
I am still a bit confused about the sword and what is covering it, for when we look at pictures of these weapons there is this thing covering part of a scabbard. I have to say is this another scabbard as we do not see the hand grip and pommel as shown next to the soldier, and also in some earlier posts we find the whole sword but the one that shows the thing covering it is only part of a scabbard. ??WHY ONLY HALF OF A SCABBARD
Brian Stobbs
Two different soldiers I think! That looks like a pompeinsis in this picture.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
As an aside, note the hammer lying near the knee. I know it's modern, but it looks almost identical to a Roman one I saw on another post. As I'm wont to say, some things never change.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Who was excavating there? Is there any info on whether this is going to be published properly at all? Especially the leather findings would be extremely interesting, methinks.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:The second picture is surely a dagger or pugio, and, according to the "inverted" description on the exhibition panels, it is from the herculaneum soldier. And it IS COOL! Something really different from any other.<br>
In fact we are going to re-create it immediately because we are italians and we are recreating pretorians. I'm far to say that he was a pretorian, but many things could be relevant:<br>

Did you ever recreate this weapon?
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
I think Rado may have done this replica, but I cant be sure. Others will correct me if I am wrong.
Try the search database on this Forum.

Kevin
Kevin
I've used the search, and also found posts going back several years through Google, but have not found much.
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
I have a Mainz-handled pugio made by Mark Morrow and based on the Herculaneum specimen. He has photos of pugios similar to mine on his website (I think one of the pugios pictured is the one e made for me)..
Pecunia non olet
Quote:I have a Mainz-handled pugio made by Mark Morrow and based on the Herculaneum specimen. He has photos of pugios similar to mine on his website (I think one of the pugios pictured is the one e made for me)..

This one: http://www.khgraphicsolutions.com/swords...13-092.jpg ?

This scabbard is interesting with regard to the Herculaneum dagger: http://www.khgraphicsolutions.com/swords...h-011L.jpg
I ordered mine without the scabbard, but it's very similar.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Herculaneum soldier\'s equipment Crispvs 13 3,119 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Last Post: ROMan
  Herculaneum soldier Tarbicus 70 14,034 01-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Tib. Gabinius