Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reason Why
While conversing with a couple of my US friends some days ago, I was asked a question which seems to be on the mind of many Americans, and which a lot of them really do not understand, and that is: Why is it that Europeans have turned so Anti-American?<br>
<br>
Since Jenny asked something similar on the other thread, I thought I'd do a cut and paste from our discussion to here. This is of course primarily the view from Scandinavia where I live, but from what one reads, it seems to be one that is shared by a good deal of other Europeans.<br>
<br>
Before I go any further, I'll apologize in advance if I you find anything in this post offensive. WHat I was trying to explain to my friends was why many Europeans have suddenly turned so antagonistic about Americans (even people who are pro-war). The comments here do not reflect my views about Americans, but rather what I think are the various views of Europeans (especially Scandinavians) about Americans and in particular the American government at this moment in time.<br>
<br>
I've also not addressed American grievances with Europeans, since that was not the focus of our discussion; besides by now I think I understand most of them.<br>
<br>
Now to the topic:<br>
Naturally, there has always been some friction in the trans-atlantic relationship; particular with respect to US "pop" culture. However, this friction has never been particularly serious - on a par with Danish "contempt" of German tourists, or Swedish contempt of the "stupid" Norwegians. The sort of thing you unavoidably get between good neighbours. The fact is that the US has always been as much admired as it has been reviled.<br>
<br>
So why the current - rather venomous - atmosphere?<br>
<br>
The funny thing - which some people seem to forget - is that the majority of the world was overwhelmingly PRO-American, less than 1 1/2 year ago. What happened to all that goodwill?<br>
<br>
Wasted. Squandered by a US administration which diplomatically has been a disaster with respect to the USA's world image.<br>
<br>
The classical worst-case stereotype of the American has always been that of the person who is arrogant, hypocritical, self-absorbed, and contemptuous of others. But it has always been just that - a stereotype - and nothing to be taken seriously.<br>
<br>
The problem for the USA's world image is that over the past 18 months, the Bush administration has succeeded admirably in portraying a perfect image of that stereotype.<br>
<br>
Arrogance:<br>
<br>
Bottom-line on the "War on Terror" is that - despite disagreements on certain diplomatic and political details - both Europe and the USA have common interests. The problem that Europe has with the USA is when Bush & Co go into "You're either with us or against us" mode. There seems to be a real inability for the US to accept that other approaches than the ones proposed by Americans can be both legitimate and acceptable. While it's fair to disagree, it's puerile to refuse to listen. And to most Europeans, it clear that the US hasn't bothered to listen.<br>
<br>
Hypocritical:<br>
<br>
One of the most stupid speeches (from a foreign affairs POV) that Bush committed was the "axis of evil" speech. Not only did it make him look simple to many Europeans, but it also lumped disparate opponents such as Iraq, Iran and North Korea together instead of dividing them.<br>
<br>
Bush's arguement for attacking Iraq is that he is uniquely bad, has slaughtered and oppressed thousands of his own people, has and is willing to use WMDs, has a track record of aggression against his neighbors, and wish to build nuclear weapons. Well, North Korea has starved and oppressed his own people, killed South Korean diplomats, kidnapped Japanese, has some thousands of artillery pieces all pointed at Seoul, has and are willing to use WMDs and is openly building nuclear weapons.<br>
<br>
If the US is willing to be diplomatic with North Korea, why not Iraq? That the US behaviour gets interpreted as rank hypocrisy, and many Europeans suspect the US of having ulterior motives with respect to Iraq can hardly come as any surprise.<br>
<br>
Self-absorbed:<br>
<br>
Just to name a few of the "charges" that one will hear from Europeans: the U.S. failure to back the Kyoto accords on global warming, the Biological Weapons Convention, the Landmine Convention, the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty or the International Criminal Court; all in the name of US self-interest.<br>
<br>
The bottom-line is that, due to the above factors, very few Europeans (including many who support the war) believe that the US is acting for anything other than its own selfish interests in Iraq. This viewpoint is certainly not weakened by the way in which the US has distributed lucrative contracts to companies with strong ties to government figures, ignoring even its loyal allies such as the British. The familiar - it's all about the Oil arguement may be rubbish - but the US administration hasn't tried very hard to disprove it.<br>
<br>
Contemptuous:<br>
<br>
Probably one of the most damaging acts the US has committed is in its blunders with the UN. Bush chose to go to the UN in deference to the wishes of his allies but then quickly made it clear that it would only respect a UN decision which ruled in its favor. The problem that arises when it became abundantly clear that not only was the US government not listening to what the rest of the world had to say, but that it was not even bothering to make the pretense of wanting to hear what it had to say, ought to be obvious to all.<br>
<br>
Stereotypes are not supposed to be true, and yet - to Europeans - the Bush administration seems intent on proving that this once, the stereotype does in fact exist.<br>
<br>
To add to those complaints, the Bush administration itself exacerbates the problem. Not least President Bush himself. Domestically, Bush represent many things that many Europeans find strange, if not directly repellent, about the US: pro-death penalty, pro-Gun, strongly Christian, anti-abortion, and strongly nationalistic (though especially the French can sign on that last one as well ). Particularly offensive to Europeans is Bush's swagger and invocations of God and Good and Evil - something that plays out well in the US, but which Europeans find decidedly medieval. To Europeans, identifying yourself with Good and your enemy with Evil belongs only with fanatics and fairy tales. Thanks to this rhetoric, some Europeans increasingly see not a war against terror, but a war between Christian Fundamentalism (represented by Bush) against Islamic Fundamentalism (represented by bin Laden).<br>
<br>
To further discredit the administration in European eyes is the juvenile way in which it reacted to opposition in Europe. Instead of trying to settle differences (the European way), the US administration proceeded to hurl abuse. Rather than restrain this behavior, Bush allowed this to go unchecked, with even his top-brass (most notably Rumsfeld) joining in. That this sort of behavior is stupid shouldn't need mentioning; as one analyst commented - each time Rumsfeld opened his mouth to insult Europe, it cost American tax payers another $20 billion. Probably the final confirmation (in European eyes) of mental immaturity was the change of name in "French Fries" and "French toast" to "Freedom Fries" and "Freedom Toast". I won't speculate on what the opinion of the US public to this name change is, but the European opinion of it can only be described with one word: Childish.<br>
<br>
This is not to say (as some people seem to think) that the European governments and Europeans have not committed their diplomatic gaffes. One can be rightfully castigate the French for meddling in the food-for-oil programme and thus contributing to the current crisis. One can shake one's head at the diplomatic blunders and big mouths of prominent European ministers. One can particularly deplore an event such as the defacing of American war-time graves.<br>
<br>
It however does not change the sad fact that most of the anti-Americanism sentiment which sweeps Europe today could easily have been avoided. All it would have required would have been for certain members of the Bush administration to think before they speak, to tone down its "For us or against us" rhetoric and for the US to actually pretend to care what its allies thought. A little bit of humility to go with the strength.<br>
<br>
Strangely enough, this is an opinion that was once shared by a prominent person within the US administration, who commented on the best way to combat anti-Americanism:<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>
"It really depends on how our nation conducts itself in foreign policy. If we're an arrogant nation, they'll resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us."<br>
<hr><br>
<br>
The speaker was George W. Bush.<br>
<br>
He was absolutely right, back then.<br>
<p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=strategym>StrategyM</A> at: 4/17/03 12:18:23 am<br></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
hmmm, i think that this going to be another tough discussions <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pelgr003>pelgr003</A> at: 4/16/03 11:14:21 pm<br></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
?????<br>
<br>
just saw the first post vanish into thin air! <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Why not?<br>
<br>
<br>
42<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
as any true jedi knows,<br>
<br>
it's do or do not, there is no why. <p></p><i></i>
Don't know what happened to the earlier post, but it seems to work now.<br>
<br>
And let me repeat again; this post is and was not intended as America-bashing; simply an attempt to try and explain why it is that many Europeans have a sour taste in their mouths over the whole run-up to this war.<br>
<br>
<p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=strategym>StrategyM</A> at: 4/17/03 12:42:09 am<br></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Even though I am not a European, I have to agree with a lot of what you have said, Strategy. I often find myself with one foot in the European camp and one foot in the American camp. I find G.W. Bush to be rather scarey and to exhibit childish reactions. For example, he cancelled his trip to Canada and instead invited the Austrailian Prime Minister to his ranch. The Canadian government is trying to claim that this is not a snub, but G. W. has also refused to set another date for his Canadian visit. Mind you, I wouldn't cross the street to spend any time with our Canadian Prime Minister, so in a way I dont' blame G.W., but it IS a snub and it seems childish.<br>
<br>
Also the sniping that has gone on between Canadians and Americans on other forums is really distressing and silly.<br>
<br>
I think Canadians are more European than the Americans and more American than the Europeans. And yes, we want to be listened to as well. And we want to make our own decisions, right or wrong, without snubs and retribution. American businesses are punishing Canadian businesses by refusing to deal with them because our government did not support the war and because some of our members of parliament made stupid Anti-American remarks. I think punishing businessmen who really had no say in what went on is a childish overreaction which does not endear Americans to anyone.<br>
<br>
Yah, sometimes I defend the American position, but that doesn't mean they don't often bug the heck out of me. Individually we are a lot a like, but collectively, not so much.<br>
<br>
I hope I made some sense. It is late and I am tired so...if I rambled, my apologies.<br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
well as i'm concerned you brought it on your own heads, i mean, good god, throwing our tea into Boston harbour ....savages! the place has been going downhill ever since. <p></p><i></i>
They did? Really? Such uncalled for barbarism! As someone who can really appreciate a good cup of tea, I fully agree that such behaviour warranted a harsh reaction.<br>
<br>
The horror, the horror!<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
for your info :<br>
<br>
this was the so-called "Boston tea party", 16 december 1773.<br>
A group of Americans, dressed up a Indians, threw the cargo (tea) of three ships into the water. They did this to protest against the tea monopoly of the British and the tax on tea (imposed by the British government).<br>
As John Adams later stated, on that day "the revolution in the hearts and souls of the people was born", i.o.w. the beginning of the American revolution.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

The Boston Tea Party also mirrors the sniffing of gasoline as a form of protest by Indians (again) due to the high price of alcohol, during the late 20th and early 21st centuries.<br>
<br>
Wait a minute...<strong>I'm an INDIAN</strong>...awww crap.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" Coh I<br>
<br>
- Let it be known, that I have 1248 posts to date, but because the techies at Ezboard are incompetent, they no longer show up.</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tiberiuslantaniusmagnus>tiberius lantanius magnus</A> at: 4/17/03 8:23:10 pm<br></i>
The war in Iraq was just an excuse to express anti-american feelings that have been running endemic ever since 1945, In France, at least.<br>
I remember my family talking about "American occupation troops" in France...<br>
Then I told them that I was surprised at the fact that for the first time in history an "occupation army", when kindly asked to leave, would just do that. And I reminded them that had they asked the Germans the same thing they would have gotten a different response.<br>
I remember movies about the role of France during WWII being censored in France, because it would question the official doctrine of "France rising unanimously against the nazis", which is of course, a joke.<br>
Actually I remember Spielberg's movie "The Sorrow and the Pity" --about WWI !!-- being censored for a long time in France.. I had to go to Switzerland to see it.<br>
It didn' t go along with the offiicial doctrine.<br>
You call THAT a democracy?!<br>
Between 1941 and 1944 the french government was part of the axis powers, plain and simple. Was it a puppet governement?<br>
Certainly not in the begiinning. The vast majority of the French supported the collaborationist Vichy government at least until Stalingrad.<br>
Then some realities began to appear...<br>
What the French couldn't stand was the fact that their freedom was given back to them by someone else. It's a bad feeling, since freedom is something you have to earn through your own efforts and is not something you receive through someione else's efforts. It's sort of humiliating.<br>
It's not about Iraq. It's "whatever the American will do is wrong" attitude. Accused of doing nothing when they do nothing, and accused of doing, when they do.<br>
Arrogance?<br>
Are the Europeans reproaching the Americans their arrogance?? I am dreaming?<br>
The "Sun King", the "Empire over which the Sun never sets", the "Reich of a thousand years"..<br>
What is this, modesty?<br>
Hypocrisy?<br>
The Europeans, as a whole, are responsable for the worst massacres humanity has even known. And many, many of them are not even repentant about it. They'd rather be anti-american, morally it's more comfortable. And now they come up with their holier that thou attitude. They have no shame.<br>
It's all about atonement.<br>
By our actions during the past century, We've forfeited for a long time the right to judge the actions of others because whatever these actions are, they will never be as terrible as the unspeakable crimes we've committed.<br>
I am a firm believer in the theory that says that you get exactly what you deserve, nothing more and nothing less.<br>
These are the Americans. And these are the Americans we deserve. <p></p><i></i>
Interesting French perspective. Haven't seen much French-based news, so I won't claim to speak for the French. Note though that I am not saying that we Europeans don't suffer from those same faults (heck - Sweden sold weapons to both sides during WW2 ), but merely than rather than this being the stereotype view, it has suddenly turned (for many people) into a "mainstream" view.<br>
<br>
<p>Strategy <br>
Designer/Developer <br>
Imperium - Rise of Rome</p><i></i>
Regards,

Michael A./MicaByte
Well I saw the stereotype on a smaller scale while I spent a summer in the UK. I was actually embarrassed when I was out and ran into other americans because they did fit the stereotype. Rather than attempting fit into the culture they complain how it wasn't american with warm beer, no ice and bland food also how everyone drove on the wrong side . I even heard someone comment on how suprised she was at how well the british had learned English. Of course she could have actually picked up a book and learned a little history and culture. Anyway I'm not one of these hippy types and I love my country and its traditions but I do get frustrated with the arrogance and yes mere stupidity of some of my country men. Unfortunately these characteristics, arrogance and stupidity, are also robbing america of what was once good. Those types of people have no sense of history and are generally apathetic about their rights and responsibilities as a decent human being.<br>
<br>
Naso <p></p><i></i>
The world is inhabited by 95-99% stupid people. What do you expect! The world has always hated us they now have a focus for thier hate. <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The reason why Bavaria became part of Germany.. caiusbeerquitius 26 4,798 05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Last Post: Decius