Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question about late Roman infantry...
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:1pbkheu7 Wrote:
Spartan198:1pbkheu7 Wrote:"Comitatenses" as in the spatha-equipped Imperial legionary after the reforms of Diocletian (I think) in the 2nd century AD.
I had thought the word was used specifically to describe the Imperial legionary (beside the Limitanei) of the period. Or am I incorrect there?
I'd say not so much Diocletian (late 3rd century) but rather Constantine is credited with the modernisation of the Roman army which produced the more fixed border troops (Limitanei) vs. the so-called 'mobile' field army (Comitatenses).

Comitatenses are equipped liked the Limitanei, although their higher pay would mean in general better equipment. Both could be Germanic volunteers as well as Romans. Both were 'imperial legionaries', equipped with spear, shield, spatha.

Would the gear be that different? The Comitatenses were paid better but were charged for their food. The Limitanei were paid less but being located at fixed locations could raise their own craps and feed themself. It might just be that the too balanced each other out.

Adrian Goldsworthy believes that the two were equally capable in battle and the Limitanei were not border militia as has been suggested before.

The fact that the comitatenses were better paid was not the main influence upon their equipment, but the fact that they had higher status than the limitanei: both were supplied by the government. It was only at the end of the fifth century that the troops were ordered to buy their own equipment - although even here limits were likely to have been set.

I agree with Goldsworthy that the troops were probably about equal in battle, although much would depend on location within the empire (eg frontier or interior province) and the quality of the officers assigned to individual units. Weak or indifferent officers are likely to have neglected training, so leading to troops' battle-readiness being lowered.

In an attempt to answer the original question, there is a record - I think in the 'Life of Saint Severinus' (but I don't have it to hand) - which has a unit in the Balkans sending men to Italy to collect their pay, but off the top of my head I couldn't tell you the date. Further, I believe some units in Spain were still recorded as extant long after Roman control had gone. However, both of these references might be to limitanei. Unfortunately, most ancient sources aren't really that interested in noting these things! Sad

Maybe others could fill in the gaps?
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II

Messages In This Thread
Re: A question about late Roman infantry... - by sonic - 09-15-2008, 09:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  some specific Qs re: late infantry weapon changes sraoses 8 2,170 02-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Timianus
  Late Roman chip carved buckle question Caballo 20 6,231 05-25-2014, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Thomas V.
  Late Roman Tent question Caballo 10 2,841 03-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Crispvs