Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German versus Japanese atrocities - and a comparison to Rome
Quote:
Quote:Am I wrong is this?

You mean wrong in starting what's essentially a WW2 "who is the worse committer of atrocities" thread in a Roman History forum? The opinions of several of the moderators is a resounding "Yes!". We were not taken in by your "--and a comparison to Rome", Tim. That appears to be just an attempt at validating a thread that has made several people very uncomfortable, and brings out the worst things in others.

Please don't do that sort of thing again. It's true that there are people on the forum who are also interested in and sometimes reenact in other historical settings, including WW2. There are forums for those time frames from which you can glean much more information. We try here for escape from the "Anti-[whatever]" conversations, as much as possible, particularly when dealing with things that occurred 1500 years after Rome ceased to be the world power in the West.

Take the hint, if you will, please.

The next time you INTENTIONALLY take a statement I made out of context like you just did here I will ask that the moderators either reprimand or ban you.

I am not saying they will act but by doing this you greatly insult what I think is a very good scholarly forum.
Timothy Hanna
Quote:I would not have expected that a 70 plus year old event would be modern enough for posters here to have personal feelings about it.

I have experience personal feelings about the find of a Roman helmet in 1910. And that was from a crowded room full of people feeling hostile.
Likewise, lots of people have much, much stronger feelings about this "70-year old event".

However, my qualification of this topic as "modern politics" referred to your statements about the post-war treatment of Japan vs. germany, which brings this topic much closer than 70 years. My main problem, however, was with your attempt to start this topic as a 'Roman' discussion, before admitting that this was never your intention.

In the same light I find your following statement very mispalced:
Quote:The next time you INTENTIONALLY take a statement I made out of context like you just did here I will ask that the moderators either reprimand or ban you.
I am not saying they will act but by doing this you greatly insult what I think is a very good scholarly forum.

You probably did not realise that you were addressing a moderator?

Well, no matter. If and when you have problems with a fellow member or with a moderator, never resort to statements like these. Either you PM the person you have problems with, or PM a moderator. Never resort to threats in public, esopecially about what mods will or won't do.

This discussion is clearly no longer about a valid subject. Thread closed.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  roman atrocities TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX 72 11,810 01-31-2006, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Caius Valens
  makes tunics and bashing pale by comparison richsc 2 1,180 05-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Anonymous