Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valley of Elah
This is what I call tantalizing: a message on a bulletin board (full text) about the excavations of Khirbet Qeiyafa, which is, in normal language, the Valley of Elah where David or Elhanan killed Goliath. It says that an "absolutely fantastic fortified Iron Age site (late Iron I/early Iron IIA)" has been found, with "the most important Iron Age Semitic inscription found in Israel in the last decade" and refuses to offer details! :evil:

So what did they find? The skull of Goliath? A text mentioning Elhanan? David's sling, with a stone? I hate waiting.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
They do that just to sell books.

Mystery solved. Problem is, they usually wait so long to publish, that most folks have forgotten the discovery. Go to press, guys, and soon! Heck, I'd buy one...
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:They do that just to sell books.
Or to get cash. In my (Dutch) Newsletter, I give the Castle of Aemstel Award every month to that press release that is most clearly angling for funds (more...). In fact, this time, I was surprised that the archaeologists did not mention Goliath, because usually, they try to connect finds to this prophet or that apostle: no matter how far-fetched the connection is, any Biblical connection guarantees that they can look forward to a miraculous multiplication of money.

Disinformation and illicit logic are even allowed; some time ago, a seal mentioning someone who is also mentioned in the Book of Jeremiah, was presented as evidence for the historical reliability of the Bible as a whole, while it only suggests the reliability of Jeremiah. (This is what logicians call a secundum quid: you prove A, and say you have proved something bigger than A.) However, not even the greatest skeptic has denied the reliability of Jeremiah, and the current debate between minimalists and maximalists has really nothing to do with Jeremiah. It was an interesting find, of course, but there was no need to pretend that it was anything more than that.

Last month's Michael Inscription -which mentions a dead Messiah and is written a century BC- is another case in point; it was presented by Israel Knohl as evidence that we had to rethink the rise of Christianity. I really fail to see how. We now have stronger evidence that notions about a suffering Messiah were present in Second Temple Judaism. No one has ever denied this; and Knohl is mad when he thinks that Christianity did not have its roots in Jewish thought.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:So what did they find?
It famous-even-before-it's-been-published text turns out to be an ostracon with about 4-5 lines of writing: go here. The text has not been published, but it appears to offer (among other things, I hope) a clue about the identification of the site, which can not be the Azekah mentioned in 1 Samuel 17, Jeremiah 34.6-7, and Nehemiah 11.30, which the excavators thought they were digging for.

[Thanks to JP vd Giessen]
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Problem is, they usually wait so long to publish, that most folks have forgotten the discovery. Go to press, guys, and soon! Heck, I'd buy one...
Today I got the following message from Haggai Misgav of the Hebrew University:
- I started to work on it only a few weeks ago, and all my conclusions are doubtful and temporary.
- I have no idea when and where it will be published.
JP van de Giessen
Blog: [url:xayumokv]http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com[/url]
And here some speculation on the Khirbet Qeiyafa Inscription
JP van de Giessen
Blog: [url:xayumokv]http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com[/url]