Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman conservatism - Christianity - Persecution
Quote:
Jona Lendering:r4xef8v9 Wrote:I think the opposition between conservatism and Christianity is somewhat overstated.

I think that not all Romans were conservative; it was the elite. Others quite willing to accept religious innovations - think of the rise of Mithraism and the introduction of various new cults (Elagabal, Isis, Cybele...). At the same time, the Christians could be pretty conservative. After all, they did not offer a really new religion, but merely the correct interpretation of an already ancient Judaism.

If you want to talk about the subject that is fine. But you should watch how you say things. Not only does your comment add nothing to the conversation but it also would greatly offend anyone here in the forum who happens to be Jewish.
You are right. I should have said that Christianity and Rabbinical Judaism both claimed to offer the most correct interpretation of Judaism; or, perhaps, I should have said that Christianity and Rabbinical Judaism offered new interpretations of an ancient religion that had to adapt itself to the loss of its Temple, in 70.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman conservatism - Christianity - Persecution - by Jona Lendering - 09-12-2008, 06:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military & Christianity: Concord, Discord, Or...? Restitvtvs 14 3,093 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great