Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman conservatism - Christianity - Persecution
Quote:I think the opposition between conservatism and Christianity is somewhat overstated.

I think that not all Romans were conservative; it was the elite. Others quite willing to accept religious innovations - think of the rise of Mithraism and the introduction of various new cults (Elagabal, Isis, Cybele...). At the same time, the Christians could be pretty conservative. After all, they did not offer a really new religion, but merely the correct interpretation of an already ancient Judaism.

If you want to talk about the subject that is fine. But you should watch how you say things. Not only does your comment add nothing to the conversation but it also would greatly offend anyone here in the forum who happens to be Jewish.

Now if you are merely quoting what you think the ancient Christians would be telling people then that is different and I apologize for attacking you. What you wrote is a bit vague.

Now if you are talkign about selling lines from ancient Christians wouldnt they ring false to lots of Romans. The Christian selling his religion says its merely a proper interpretation of Judaism but the mere fact that he is sellign it goes rather strongly contrary to the very exclusive nature of Judaism that is not all that interested in new converts. Many of its followers in fact feel you have to be born Jewish toreally be Jewish.
Timothy Hanna

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman conservatism - Christianity - Persecution - by Timotheus - 09-12-2008, 12:46 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military & Christianity: Concord, Discord, Or...? Restitvtvs 14 3,086 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great