Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Smith as the "Last Pharaoh"...?
Quote:Thanks guys!
Will you write them? Offer them advise?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Perhaps even worse than Will Smith as a Pharoah is the news that the Day the Earth Stood Still is being remade as we speak, with Keanu Reeves as Klaatu!!

I guess that means the clipped authoritarian English accent has gone and we can no longer expect to hear a radio broadcaster announcing that reports are coming in from all over the empire of a strange saucer like object in the skies! Sigh Cry

At least they appear to be keeping the original Bernard Hermann music score!

p.s.

-
Quote:Cleopatra VII with a pharaonic headdress

-the Israelites with keffiyehs

-an early iron sword cutting through a bronze blade on a parry

-Pilate in a living room with walls of undressed fieldstone

-galley slaves in the Augustan navy

-the invention of the trireme in time for Actium

-exploding catapult ammunition

-black helmets for the Praetorian guard

-multiple-shot crossbows for the arena

You mean to say none of these are true? I am sure Cleopatra has a headress on some monument but you will be telling me that Santa Claus does not exist next! :wink:

Quote:I think it was HBO, the late-90s made-for-TV film that cast a black fashion model as Cleopatra.

They cast Leonora Varela, who is half Chilean half French. Perhaps you might be thinking of Iman who appeared I seem to recall in a Michael Jackson video looking quite stunning as a Nefertitii look-a-like.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Maybe, we'll see.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Speaking of Day The Earth Stood Still...

I have seen an early "Teaser" trailer and it looks as though they have followed standard Hollywood procedure by upping the ante for the sequel. (You know the old Universal routine after the success of Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman et.al. they figured if one monster was good two would be better and half a dozen or more better still.)

So the new Day will have bigger explosions and more of them.

Now for a really obscure remake...

They are re-making the film Yakuza -- again. The original 1974 film was written by the Schrader brothers (Taxi Driver), directed by Sidney Pollack and featured Robert Mitchum, Richard Jordan and Takakura Ken. It is an excellent film and the Schraders clearly understood the Japanese aspects of the story. It is also a very deliberate film in the pacing and that does tend to put viewers off, particularly those used to the faster pace of Hollywood films. A slightly different take on the fish out of water story was done by Riddley Scott as Black Rain again with Takakura Ken. But while flashier and faster Black Rain lacks the heart and soul that the first film captured so well. All style and no substance. Now they are remaking Yakuza and one has to ask: why?

I would much rather watch Will Smith in Last Pharaoh or the original Day and Yakuza than either of the remakes.

Perhaps I'm just old fashioned that way...

:roll: :oops: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Day the Earth Stood Still is being remade as we speak, with Keanu Reeves as Klaatu!! :roll:

great weve gone from Michael Rennie to surfer dude. :roll:

I can see it now " Dudes Like be nice or my Robot will like get really mad.... Woh"

as for will smith in serious acting has anyone seen yet pursuit of happiness?

Ah also found a link for the new earth stood still film
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
It's worse than that! Reeves IS the robot, only he is made to look like a person. With ESP, mind control powers, invincibility, and on and on. Seems like they could get a perfectly good robot with CGI these days, and keep to the original story. The truth is, that was one of the better sci-fi movies from the old days, sort of the "one that started it all".

But the new one has bigger and better explosions, and more fire, it looks like, so people will like it better.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And the re-make is in COLOR!

:roll: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Few remember that "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was based on Harry Bates' classic sf story, "Farewell to the Master." If the new film is a new take on the story, the remake is worthwhile. It's been done before. John W. Campbell's classic story "Who Goes There?" was filmed twice as "The Thing," both excellent movies and very different from one another.
Pecunia non olet

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will Smith & The Last Pharaoh Tiglath Pileser III 2 1,212 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  The George Smith epic Jona Lendering 1 1,005 05-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus