Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman reenactment event in Blanes (Catalonia, Spain)
Quote:If I ever move to Spain I'd like to sign up with Regnum Gothorum Smile

Very nice Spangenhelm, btw !

Thanks for your comments, Theo. It isn’t a great spangen, but I think at least looks nice with the decoration I made.

All the best!
«‘Tis just a scratch.»
«A scratch? Your arm’s off.»
Quote:
Theodosius the Great:cr2dwm5m Wrote:If I ever move to Spain I'd like to sign up with Regnum Gothorum Smile

Very nice Spangenhelm, btw !

Thanks for your comments, Theo. It isn’t a great spangen, but I think at least looks nice with the decoration I made.

All the best!

Hi Yeyo,

I commend you on your skills with working on brass.

But what's wrong with the spangen ?

The only minor improvements I can think of would be to replace the rivets with domed brass versions, and to replace the leather laces (holding the cheek plates) with hinges. Both are easy to do. Is there a major change that could make this a "great" helmet ?

I'm having my own spangen made as we speak, btw. I'd be happy if it turned out like your friend's. :wink:

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:The only minor improvements I can think of would be to replace the rivets with domed brass versions, and to replace the leather laces (holding the cheek plates) with hinges. Both are easy to do. Is there a major change that could make this a "great" helmet ?

Well, my spangenhelm has some welded parts inside, so it’s not as authentic as I would like, although they are covered by a padded coating. I’m going to make me another one in the future, and I hope this time better. Again, more work….

All the best!
«‘Tis just a scratch.»
Quote:Ludus Hispaniensis:

[Image: ludus01jz3.th.jpg]

[Image: ludus02yb1.th.jpg]

The event could be great.
Just a few comments about the "gladiators":
The secutor's ocrea looks a bit strange and the balteus wear by the thraex should be much higher to protect his belly..
Collegium Gladiatorium Hungary
aka Gus ztav Gar as
Who did the bone carving? That is really nice work!
Also great looking group, well done. 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Who did the bone carving? That is really nice work!

Thank you, I made it. I started with wood but I had discovered that bone and horn are better materials for engraving. Now I’m searching some ivory -for making a Byzantine box-, but it’s quite difficult to find.

Quote:Just a few comments about the "gladiators":
The secutor's ocrea looks a bit strange and the balteus wear by the thraex should be much higher to protect his belly..

I think it’s a Greek military ocrea. Of course, a secutor should wear another one, shorter and with a padded protection under it. But the group it’s quite new and we have to improve a lot of things, starting for the Deepeeka helmets!

All the best.
«‘Tis just a scratch.»