Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caligula
Hi, I came across this site this morning when I was doing some research for my next book. I'm always looking for new information about Rome and the Romans and how things worked, looked and sounded in ancient times and its great to be able to share the experiences of people who are recreating the past.
It also struck me - and yes, this is a shameless plug - that if you're interested in life in ancient Rome you might be interested in my book Caligula, which was published by Bantam Press in July. It tells the story of Rufus, a young animal trainer who becomes the keeper of the Emperor's elephant and I think it paints a realistic picture of life - and death - under the psychotic young Emperor. It's had some great reviews and you can check it out on Amazon.
The next book will follow Rufus and his elephant on the invasion of Britain when he'll march with the Second Augusta under the command of Vespasian, fight with the Cohors Primae Batavorum and stand beside Claudius when he takes the surrender of the British kings at Camulodunum.
It's in the final stages now, but I'm still researching some of the military colour and I'm sure Romanarmy.com will help a lot,

thanks and keep up the good work!

Douglas Jackson
Quote:... fight with the Cohors Primae Batavorum ...
I'm sure it's just a slip of the keyboard, but it's Cohors Prima Batavorum, Doug. (Legions and Cohorts are feminine in Latin!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks for that Duncan, I thought I'd lifted it directly from a translation, but I'm sure you're right. It's great to get that kind of feedback,

cheers

Doug