Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there still any events left? Updated Fall 2008.
Are there still any re-enactment events planned in Europe (France, Germany, N. Italy) for the coming 2 months? I really wanted to go to Marle but my car packed up 3 days before and the train connections from Switzerland would have been a terrible hassle.
My little holiday in Arles last year was one of the best times I have had in 20 years so I wouldn't mind a few days away.
Dane Kurth
----------------------------
Helvetia libera dei gratia
Here in the UK we've one event left, a Multi-period do at Cliveden next weekend. But don't know about over the water sorry!

Deb
Deborah Glennie
Member of the Vicus [url:jwqvknmp]http://www.vicus.org.uk/[/url]

[Image: S5000909.jpg]
We have an Event at Lunt, outside of Coventry, Bagington to be exact next weekend.

and one at Colchester later in the year too.

See here http://www.romanarmy.net/events.htm
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There is "Galliërs, Germanen en Romeinen" in the Historisch OpenluchtMuseum Eindhoven next weekend.
[url:3khf2hq8]http://www.historisch-openluchtmuseum-eindhoven.nl/jaarprogramma/pop_ups/20080907GalliersGermanenRomeinen.html[/url]
The main event day is sunday the 7th.
Our gladiator school will do some showfighting there and there are a lot of Roman, Celtic and Germanic groups present also.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Indeed, Eindhoven next week there is.

Then on 4th and 5th October there is a big event in Colchester (UK).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Oooh Eindhoven sounds very interesting. I might just go up to Holland for that !
Dane Kurth
Eindhoven is indeed a nice event.

On 13 and 14 september there is a pretty large event (I think over 100 Roman soldiers, artillery, cavalry) at the Roman museum in Velzeke, here in Belgium.

Apart from the event you can look at the exhibition of Graham Sumner's paintings in the museum.

http://www.pam-velzeke.be/?menu=20

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:On 13 and 14 september there is a pretty large event (I think over 100 Roman soldiers, artillery, cavalry) at the Roman museum in Velzeke, here in Belgium.

Apart from the event you can look at the exhibition of Graham Sumner's paintings in the museum.

Hi Jef

I had hoped to be able to visit this event myself but sadly I can not go. However if you are there I would be grateful for any photos of you guys in kit standing in front of the paintings.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I will do my best, Graham!

Do you also want some pictures of us in kit stealing your paintings? :twisted:

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
If anyone ever gets any of those coins that are struck at these different events, I would be happy to buy them off them. I normally only collect only genuine coins but rather like these strikes. Roman coins only though - at Arles last year they were also making small Arabic Fals and Dirhams which I don't need.

I think I have to leave the visit to a re-enactment until next year. If Marle takes place again I'll definitely drive up to that.

Thanks for all your infos, anyway!
And by the way, if any of you also collect / metal detect Roman coins, I have a very popular website to help people identify their 3rd/4th Century Roman bronzes, plus Byzantines and some Arabic bronzes. (I do IDs for shops, authors, local digs and museums etc. and am always happy to help people ID their Roman coin finds)
Don't know if I'm allowed to publish my URL here but googling for Helvetica Roman Coins should find the address ("coin Stuff").
Dane Kurth
Quote:Do you also want some pictures of us in kit stealing your paintings?

I am trying to imagine what the Belgian newspapers would make of a man disguised as a bear stealing some paintings from a museum! :wink: Smile

Anyway have a good event, hope the weather is better than over here!

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham, your work really is superb! I enjoyed gazing at it for a very long time. I wasn't able to take pictures, but Dirk (from Gemina), who joined my group at this event, took several pictures of people in kit looking at the paintings.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hello Jef

Quote:Graham, your work really is superb! I enjoyed gazing at it for a very long time. I wasn't able to take pictures, but Dirk (from Gemina), who joined my group at this event, took several pictures of people in kit looking at the paintings.

Thanks for the comments. I am pleased that you liked the exhibition. Dirk has indeed sent me some pictures. Hope you had a good time in spite of the weather!

Probably like all artists I feel that the originals look much better than the printed versions. Certainly I feel that the colours are a bit yellow in the books and some of the tunics which I painted beige are more yellowish in volume 1 in particular, than perhaps I would have liked.

People seem surprised at seeing the original size if they are familar with the books and the evidence for all the workings out!

Best wishes
Graham.

Yes, I noticed some slight colour differences. I loved the face of Crassus, I studied it quite some time.

The weather was terrible on saturday, but it was very nice on Sunday. Dirk left saturday evening so he wasn't there on sunny sunday.

Vale,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
We had our annual weekend at Fort Vechten, with the WWII guys at the fort and the Romans below the tower: Pax Romana as republican Romans, the Minervii and Fectio as Late Romans and the Teuxandrii as a bit of both. Big Grin

The weekend started bad with a spillover of a totally drenched Friday, a drizzly rain that did not let up until 1PM on saturday. the field was muddy, but not too wet, something that could not be said of the parade ground inside the fort: at roll call some of us (me) stood in 5 cm of mud. Cry

But then the clouds broke, and the sun never left us (actually it's still gorgeous weather here), temperatures never reaching the 20 degrees though.

A nice weekend, all in all.

Pictures here, more from my daughter (8 ) here , my own pictures here and here a selection of Janneke's pictures.

A wet camp:
[Image: PICT0109s.jpg]

The Minervii doing gladiator stuff:
[Image: PICT0146s.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROMA ANTIQVA EVENTS 2008 brennivs - tony drake 11 4,010 06-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Comitatus Events 2008 John Conyard 13 2,866 04-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Last Post: Libitina
  Legion Ireland - Events 2008 Nerva 1 1,435 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar