Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parthenon Restoration
Last year, I visited Athens' splendid Byzantine Museum (which is now one of my favorites in Greece), and saw the Christian elements that were stripped away from the Parthenon. Later, drinking our frappes, we discussed what we had seen, and all agreed that the architects that are now restoring the Parthenon might as well have brought it back to its fifth-century splendor. That would have been lovely as well.

There is a parallel here: the Curia in Rome, which used to be the Medieval church of Sant' Adriano (if I recall correctly), and was stripped by Mussolini's architects from all Baroque and Medieval elements - leaving us with the brick box we have now. Today, it seems to be universally agreed that this was one restoration too many; some of the elements that were removed, were probably originals. Archaeologists in the center of Rome are now leaving Medieval elements intact as much as possible (Forum of Trajan = monastery, Forum Transitorium = villa from the age of Charlemagne).

I know that the Parthenon Restoration has been discussed. Personally, I think that the decision to restore it to its fifth-century form, is an excellent one, and having seen those people working there, I have every confidence that it will be a splendid monument once it's finished. On the other hand, making it a Byzantine church again, is equally defensible. I was just wondering: what were the arguments to go back to the fifth century?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well, I personally want to see it restored to as close to its original form.
There are many great Byzantine(or at least Orthodox) churches and Cathedrals in Athens.
The Parthenon, and the whole Acropolis shold be returned to its Periclean original form! It will be wonderful!

Of course, I am not biased in any way, shape or form!! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Any idea what the Parthenon, Athena Nike, Erectheum, etc. would cost to recreate today?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Quote:Any idea what the Parthenon, Athena Nike, Erectheum, etc. would cost to recreate today?

Many denarii I think!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:After the Olympics in Athens, they got almost Bankrupt, so my guess is that the Acro has to wait a little longer. Its not the only country with that ocation after its Olympics.

cheers

Sorry for an off-topic, but was it really that bad? I thought Olympics brings a lot of money, and isn't that why those countries spend a fortune building new stadiums for them?
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
And the Greeks have been restoring the thing for how long now? Anyone actually expect to be alive if and when its finished?
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Quote:And the Greeks have been restoring the thing for how long now?
They do it very, very carefully. When I was there for the first time, 1989, they were busy with the anastylosis of the northern part of the Parthenon, and when I was there for the last time, 2007, they were again busy with the northern part of the Parthenon. I expressed my surprise, and the man said that advances in computer technology made it now possible to refit minor pieces of the original stone as well. That sounds plausible.

Incidentally, it may be noted that the Hagia Sophia has been under restoration since the days of Ataturk. Not because the Turks are lazy, but because once the restoration is finished, it becomes a mosque again -and they prefer to have a museum.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
A kinder explanation than some (usually patriotic) Greeks of my aquaintance whose opinion was that it was because their countrymen are incapable of organising a piss up in a brewery :lol:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Another reason is that they will use handicraft ans ancient techniques where possible. The reason is that: if with this techniques akropolis made it for 3000 years lets ensure that it will make it for another 3000.

Public works in Greece
Example:The Temple of Olympian Zeus (known today as pillars of of Olympian Zeus)
From wooden temple to stone between 800 to 700 B.C.
Some restoration and and extension by the kings stopped when the royalty was abolished.
6th cent B.C. Extensive sculptures added by Pesistratos-to be taken down by the Alkemonides when they threw him out.
5th cent, B.C New plan for the temple commissioned. The Persian then destroy it. Ne plan for its restoration stops because of the Peloponessian War.
4th cent B.C. Athenians refuse restoration by Alexander
3rd cent B.C. Demetrius the "besieger" lays new plan but works stop as he left in haste
2nd cent B.C. Debate if the Romans or the Macedonians will be chosen as restorers.
1st cent B.C. Sulla used the remains for siege works
1st cent A.D. Athens lost in obscurity
2nd cent A.D. Hadrian finishes off the work (Finally!!)
3rd cent A.D. Some Gothic troops wreck it in search of gold!
Stays in ruins until become a tourist attaction in modern times.
public works are not our forte...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ykGyZLa9U
that ad says all :lol: :lol: :lol:
aka Yannis
----------------
Molon lave