Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient gold treasure puzzles Greek archaeologists
Philip II's gold wreath mysteriously taken from his tomb and buried in a market place near the site of his murder :

Ancient gold treasure puzzles Greek archaeologists

~Theo
Jaime
I usually hate it when journalists use words like "mystery", especially in combination with "gold" or "treasure", but this time - yes! And what an exciting puzzle this is.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
However noone said this is Philip's wreath. Of cource it is highly likely for those who are convinced the great tumulous did not belong to Philip II.
It is yet another part of all that mystery of the royal tombs of Vergina,of the ocupants of the parafernalia in them,and of course of the research for Alexander's tomb. It is interesting that yesterday in the Greek news the archaologist spoke of a wreath almost exactly the same as that of Philip. I remind that Philip's wreath is not just made of oak leaves,but is also the biggest that has ever been found.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
It's Alexander! Hidden there by Olympias! Wink
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
I'm sure they will suggest it's one of Alexander's successors,murdered by Kassandros or Olympias,or was once ocupant of one of the empty tombs,stripped from his bones to protect them from Pyrrhus and his Gauls. Until then-or even after that-it's a great source to base a hiostorical novel on it,isn't it? Big Grin
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I like my theory. Wink Wasn't Olympias killed because she wouldn't tell Cassander where Alexander's body was?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Fascinating article Theodosius.
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Quote:It's Alexander! Hidden there by Olympias! Wink

I just found this thread (not been on RAT much lately :oops: ) and do you know...that was my first thought.... Confusedhock:
Well not hidden by Olympias...but where he disappeared to...??
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Appeal by Greek Archaeologists Vindex 2 1,463 06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Last Post: wengazi