Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome\'s 3 biggest mistakes.
I think mainly lack of strong central authority from Commodus onwards.

With some notable exceptions, emperors were generally short lived, incompetent, mad or simply not fit to rule. That and the constant civil wars, romans killing romans, the army losing its strength, lack of civil and tax reform, etc.

I reckon rome fell for internal reasons more than anything else.
Well to speak from experience, any anti Christian Romanesque joke ever written on this forum has been attacked by the so called tolerant Christians.

just my two cents...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:If they had taken Germania, they would have had a shorter border to defend as pointed out.
And of course it was the over taxation by the Religious elite that helped
increase the burden on the common people. This carried on into the middle ages.......

Sorry, but that would not have added very much to the problem, which really had its root in the enormous differences between the upper class and the lower class. The gap between the super rich who were also exempt from paying many taxes and other civilian duties and the middle and lower classes was enormous.

For me, this problem ranks as number 2. It created a lack of loyalty towards the Roman state which eventually cause civilians to side with Goths and Feranks in Gaul, or with Arabs in Africa.

Problem number 1 for me is the inability for the Roman emperors to create a secure stable succession system.

Problem 3 would be the inability to create a military system that would have discouraged generals to try taking controle of (parts of) the empire. Civil wars did far more damage than foreign invasions.

1- succession
2- society
3- military
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:2s70d46d Wrote:If they had taken Germania, they would have had a shorter border to defend as pointed out.
And of course it was the over taxation by the Religious elite that helped
increase the burden on the common people. This carried on into the middle ages.......

Sorry, but that would not have added very much to the problem, which really had its root in the enormous differences between the upper class and the lower class. The gap between the super rich who were also exempt from paying many taxes and other civilian duties and the middle and lower classes was enormous.

For me, this problem ranks as number 2. It created a lack of loyalty towards the Roman state which eventually cause civilians to side with Goths and Feranks in Gaul, or with Arabs in Africa.

Problem number 1 for me is the inability for the Roman emperors to create a secure stable succession system.

Problem 3 would be the inability to create a military system that would have discouraged generals to try taking controle of (parts of) the empire. Civil wars did far more damage than foreign invasions.

1- succession
2- society
3- military

The funny thing is #3 would have been the easiest to solve. Create a retirement program funded and controlled by the Senate and the Emperor. Make sure it is better than what some too-bit smooth talking general can offer and the troops will be happy.
Timothy Hanna