Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New translation of Marcus Aurelius
I was curious what everyone thought of Gregory Hays new(er) translation of Marcus Aurelius. According to the publisher it is the first new translation in 35 years.

I hesitated a long time before buying it, simply because I was so used to Haine’s translation in Loeb. But now that I got it I’m very happy with Hays. It uses more modern language and is probably more faithful to how it was written. Marcus was a busy man, and you really feel the urgency of the language. In some places Hays even uses bullet points, probably very similar to how a busy political leader today would write down his thoughts for himself.

Here is a comparison between a couple versions of the famous passage in Book II, 5.

Quote: Every moment think steadily as a Roman and a man to do what thou hast in hand with perfect and simple dignity, and feeling of affection, and freedom, and justice; and to give thyself relief from all other thoughts.

George Long translation, 1862 (available online)

Quote:Every hour make up thy mind sturdily as a Roman and a man to do what thou hast in hand with scrupulous and unaffected dignity and love of thy kind and independence and justice; and to give thyself rest from all other impressions.

C.R. Haines translation, 1915 ?

Quote:Concentrate every minute like a Roman – like a man – on doing what’s in front of you with precise and genuine seriousness, tenderly, willingly, with justice. And on freeing yourself from all other distractions.

Gregory Hays, 2003

The only drawback I have is that it is only the Meditations. Hays’ book has no commentary, no background information, no notes and no bibliography. But for the work itself I am very pleased with it.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thanks David, it seems that I have to read "the meditations" once again :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I stumbled across an online interview with the translator here.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Here is a comparison between a couple versions of the famous passage in Book II, 5.

Quote:
Every moment think steadily as a Roman and a man to do what thou hast in hand with perfect and simple dignity, and feeling of affection, and freedom, and justice; and to give thyself relief from all other thoughts.

George Long translation, 1862 (available online)

Quote:
Every hour make up thy mind sturdily as a Roman and a man to do what thou hast in hand with scrupulous and unaffected dignity and love of thy kind and independence and justice; and to give thyself rest from all other impressions.

C.R. Haines translation, 1915 ?

Quote:
Concentrate every minute like a Roman – like a man – on doing what’s in front of you with precise and genuine seriousness, tenderly, willingly, with justice. And on freeing yourself from all other distractions.

Gregory Hays, 2003

In my opinion it would be more interesting if we had the Latin version too. Hey! But I'm not pressurizing you, it's just a suggestion Big Grin .
It's in Greek. :wink:

The Greek is in my Loeb edition, but I need to figure out how to type it!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:It's in Greek. Wink

The Greek is in my Loeb edition, but I need to figure out how to type it!

Well, it's easy.. Τηεσε αρε τηε στεπς ιου ξαβε το φολλου (these are the steps you have to follow) :lol: :wink: :

· Start Menu > Control Panel

· Regional configuration of languages (or something like that; I have my PC in Spanish so it can be different)

· Select Greek

· Now you have a button on the side bar which you can click and select "EL" (Greek). You will write in the Greek alphabet. Then select English again.

Hope it helped.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hate and War: The Column of Marcus Aurelius Quintius Clavus 1 1,928 10-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Caballo
  "Marcus Aurelius" by Frank McLynn Virilis 1 1,493 03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Column of Marcus Aurelius Anonymous 1 956 11-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Last Post: richsc