Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hod Hill sword
Some more questions about this version of the Hod Hill spatha:

Sword:
-Is the blade full tang?
-Is the balance of the sword good?

Scabbard:
-How is the leaf shaped palmet above the chape made? Is it loose or is it integral to the crossband or another part of the chape?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Off topic:

I like the use of a roman belt and a celtic one! All the impression is superb, a nice combination of roman and barbarian equipment.
Quote:Sword:
-Is the blade full tang?
-Is the balance of the sword good?

Scabbard:
-How is the leaf shaped palmet above the chape made? Is it loose or is it integral to the crossband or another part of the chape?

Yes, full tang.
Balance is pretty good. The first blade I received I shortened by 45mm which was better.
Palmette is stamped sheet brass and is a separate attachment.
Ah...ok. I guess exposure to plain components has biased me a bit. Would this still be considered a more expensive "build" for a sword? How many of these more ornate finds are there...a lot? Just curious if there is a comparative ratio of these types of swords vs what else was used in the empire.

Is Britain the only place where these swords were found?

Legion: TBD
Quote:I like the use of a roman belt and a celtic one! All the impression is superb, a nice combination of roman and barbarian equipment.

Thanks mate-much appreciated! The barbarian belt is actually authentically Batavian, made by Nodge Nolan. The Batavian lads were looking good on the weekend- all very different, but recognisably a unit through the green tunics and shield motifs (at least three different shapes). The fox head on the helmet is a recvent addition- and caused a lot of comments from the legionaries........ Big Grin D

And I'm unaware of similar swords being found outside Britannia....unless someone can tell me differently?

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:The fox head on the helmet is a recvent addition- and caused a lot of comments from the legionaries........

'Pvssivs Galorvs'!! :lol:
LOL!! Big Grin D

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Did someone mention "Roadkill" :?: :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:The combination of sword and Celtic scabbard should therefore look like this. (Pic thanks to Peronis)

[Image: hodhillceltic.jpg]

Is there any info about if this scabberd indeed will be made and.....[size=85:159pruyr]when[/size]....
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Yes, they are working on it.....have seen no pics as yet...

aka Paul B, moderator
Moderation in all things
Great! Can't wait to see it!! Big Grin
Folkert van Wijk
It's the Isleham scabbard. British Museum Collection.

[Image: ps231764_l.jpg]
Quote:It's the Isleham scabbard. British Museum Collection.

[Image: ps231764_l.jpg]

Ok I'll take it, you don't need to wrap it up... :wink:
Folkert van Wijk
Howdy!

Figure I'll resurrect this thread... I just bumped into the Al Hamdd reconstruction on the Armamentaria site and then after doing some research into the scabbard, found this thread! I'm curious if anything has come of the project of putting together a Celtic scabbard to match the sword? I'm tempted to buy one and make it myself, considering how lovely the sword is as it is, particularly at that price point. I'm also curious about the treatment process for the blade. Is it heat-treated at all, or simply hollow ground and polished? What type of steel is it? Thank you!

-Gregory
Gregory J. Liebau
The Bronze Age Center
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=273457#p273457">viewtopic.php?p=273457#p273457<!-- l