Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chichester belt plates
Quote:Dr. Bishop wrote: "Enamelling is obviously around before the 2nd century AD but it only begins to make an appearance on military equipment in the first half of the 2nd century AD".

I agree that enameling was done before the 2nd century AD. However, (unless I am missing the point) enamel inlays appeared before the 2nd century AD on military equipmnet on items such as the Velson dagger and the "Gallic D" helmet. These items were in the first half of the first century.

Imprecise use of language on my part. Should have said (as I very nearly did at the bottom of p.244 of B&C2) 'a widespread appearance' although it might be argued that decorated dagger scabbards (with the use of silver and gold wire inlay and enamel) were heterodox and a special case as they were outwith the normal traditions of military equipment decoration (and the whys and wherefores of that can be argued till the cows come home). The Mainz-Weisenau helmet is likewise outwith the more familiar tradition of asymmetrical junk turned out by the Roman army. It is an intriguing point and one I had never really thought about before. Perhaps now I shall.

Quote:for as Mick says

Always Mike, seldom Michael, never Mick ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Im sorry about that Michael "Mike" is the English version, however I'm a Geordie.
Brian Stobbs
Dr. Bishop,

Thanks for the response and clarification.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Belt with mixed plates models. Rado 15 5,734 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Tinning belt plates 2biggij 9 3,270 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Value of belt plates and parts Latinitas 9 2,535 08-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius