Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Favourite Emperor?
Quote:A) Antoninus Pius - soldiers probably died only for boredom during his reign
... or from sheer hard work, building the outer limes in Germany, Raetia and Britain (the Antonine Wall)! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Marcus Aurelius

He had a very modern sense of citizen freedoms, such as freedom of speech. Herodes vehemently attacked him verbally, but Marcus let him go.

He was a fiscal moderate, and even sold off imperial possessions to meet necessary expenses.

He recognised his own faults but was continuously working on them. The Meditations are the best example.

Marcus used diplomacy when he could and used the army when he had to in order to protect the Empire.

He showed others due respect. He honoured the Senate, followed Hadrian’s wishes involving Lucius, and was even polite to Fronto when he rejected rhetoric for philosophy.

He was extremely diligent and hard-working. Fronto was continually begging him to work less and get more sleep.

But he wasn’t perfect. I’m not a fan of his dual lawcodes for the honestiores and humiliores. I think one of his worst mistakes was allowing barbarians to settle inside the Empire without having a plan of integrating them into the local social contract.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Marcus Aurelius

He had a very modern sense of citizen freedoms, such as freedom of speech. Herodes vehemently attacked him verbally, but Marcus let him go.

He was a fiscal moderate, and even sold off imperial possessions to meet necessary expenses.

He recognised his own faults but was continuously working on them. The Meditations are the best example.

Marcus used diplomacy when he could and used the army when he had to in order to protect the Empire.

He showed others due respect. He honoured the Senate, followed Hadrian’s wishes involving Lucius, and was even polite to Fronto when he rejected rhetoric for philosophy.

He was extremely diligent and hard-working. Fronto was continually begging him to work less and get more sleep.

But he wasn’t perfect. I’m not a fan of his dual lawcodes for the honestiores and humiliores. I think one of his worst mistakes was allowing barbarians to settle inside the Empire without having a plan of integrating them into the local social contract.

Good points, David! Have you learned all this from "Gladiator" :wink: !?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
No, Anthony Birley. His book is highly recommended, by the way, if you like Marcus. Parts of it are dated, and he takes the Historia Augusta a bit too seriously at times, but I think Birley had a good biography.

I learned to stab my enemies before a public showdown from Gladiator. :wink: And I learned that doesn't work all the time. Cry
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Augustus

Septimius Severus

Gallienus

Diocletianus

Iulianus
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Quote:No, Anthony Birley. His book is highly recommended, by the way, if you like Marcus. Parts of it are dated, and he takes the Historia Augusta a bit too seriously at times, but I think Birley had a good biography.

I learned to stab my enemies before a public showdown from Gladiator. :wink: And I learned that doesn't work all the time. Cry

Yes, I have this book, a good read! Curiously it has such an awful cover that it must be the ugliest book I have. It has a pink picture of a cameo of the emperor Augustus. I seriously thought about getting another edition because of that :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Curiously it has such an awful cover that it must be the ugliest book I have. It has a pink picture of a cameo of the emperor Augustus. I seriously thought about getting another edition because of that :wink: ...
Birley's [amazon]Marcus Aurelius: a biography[/amazon] ? With a pink cover?! I haven't seen that one!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I have a soft spot for Titus Vespasianus. Short reign, but looked like a decent guy.
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Quote:I have a soft spot for Titus Vespasianus. Short reign, but looked like a decent guy.

Likewise for some reason im a fan! Germanicus is up there as well!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Quote:Likewise for some reason im a fan! Germanicus is up there as well!

Germanicus ! Big Grin I honestly believe would have made an exellent emperor. Has anyone read the Dando Collins Book Blood of the Caesars? Definitly a good read a lot of insight when I have more time I am going to re read a few more time to see how much I am willing to agree with all of it but collins definitly shows a very possable account.
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Germanicus ! I honestly believe would have made an exellent emperor.

What i should have made clearer was that Vespasian is my faveourite Caesar while Germanicus is a faveourite "non caesar" if you like.
Sorry for any confusion.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
I think I would have to say Vespasion as he strikes me as being a survivor, he also appears to be a self made man who was not only a military general but made a living being a Muleteer. Ideed a very down to earth guy in his very last statement before he died, "Me think's I'm becoming a god".
Brian Stobbs
Well, let me play the advocatus diaboli.
Quote:Titus Vespasianus. Short reign, but looked like a decent guy.
Note the cynical undertone of Suetonius' prologue: he condidered to be a good man "by nature, art, or good fortune". The anecdote in 9.1-2 is still shocking: offering two would-be murderers a sharp sword and saying that "danger threatened them both, but at some future time" - well, I think those guys never slept comfortably. As Brian Jones (no, not the guy you are thinking of) remarks in The Emperor Titus (1984): "The mask fell."
Quote:I think I would have to say Vespasion ... Indeed a very down to earth guy in his very last statement before he died, "Me think's I'm becoming a god".
Not his last words. Suetonius says that he suffered from an attack of diarrhoea, struggled to get on his feet, and died, saying "An emperor ought to die standing." It must have been a smelly affair, but I think these last words are even better than the well-known joke.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Germanicus definately would have made a great Emperor, and the Dando-collins book is excellent.

But as far as favourite emperors go.....Vespasian, even if he was a cheap bas£$%d, as Caesar himself was never Emperor!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Septimius Severus :wink:

But also Hadrian, Aurelian and Diocletian.

Hadrian,...for his travelling and wisdom.
Aurelian, Restitutor Orbis !! Very good general.
Diocletian, pulled the empire back together
Tot ziens.
Geert S. (Sol Invicto Comiti)
Imperator Caesar divi Marci Antonini Pii Germanici Sarmatici ½filius divi Commodi frater divi Antonini Pii nepos divi Hadriani pronepos divi Traiani Parthici abnepos divi Nervae adnepos Lucius Septimius Severus Pius Pertinax Augustus Arabicus ½Adiabenicus Parthicus maximus pontifex maximus