Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolus Type C from Schaan
Avete omnes!<br>
<br>
I have another question today<br>
<br>
Last week I went to visit my parents in Brigantium. In the museum there they have a Coolus C helmet found in Schaan. Sadly enough the museum is rather small and they don't provide too much info . I guess the helmet is from the times of Tiberius and Drusus campaign to conquer Raetia, or was this type still in use after the Augustan period?<br>
<br>
Does anyone know where I can find more information on the campaigns in Raetia? Were there any bigger battles between the celtic inhabitants and the Romans? I haven't heard of any yet. Drusus and Tiberius campaigns don't seem to be mentioned or described to often, at least I wasn't able find too much yet. Any recommended books (on the campaigns, equippment or other info on Raetia during Augustan and Tiberian age)?<br>
<br>
Thank you all very much in advance. <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Ave!<br>
<br>
Dating helmet types is very dicey, since so few finds are properly stratified and dated. So the conventional range for Coolus C is Augustan and Tiberian, but it's possible that it runs anywhere from 50 BC to 50 AD. There might not be a lot more information for the museum to list. (I wouldn't be so radical as to suggest that they tell how much anything WEIGHS, for instance...)<br>
<br>
Unfortunately, I can't help at all on the Rhaetian campaign information, hopefully someone else around here can.<br>
<br>
Good luck, and Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
thank you<br>
<br>
I just guessed that it might be from Tiberius campaign cause I wonder why a Legionary should lose his helmet in the southern part of Raetia (swords, pila pieces and horse equipment are on display as well). I guess later they'd be busy along the boarder to Germany and not in the South. <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]