Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new book about Belisarius!
Quote:
Virilis:1kgzai82 Wrote:Wow Confusedhock: , I just wet my pants!!

Can we use that as a review quote on the back of the jacket? :wink:

Phil
Oh yes, I can also give a picture of my pants to use :twisted: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:Ian,

Although it is not completely finalized (which is why it is not on Amazon) you can give them a preview of what the jacket will almost certainly look like (the mosaic-based one) - I can't work out how to post it here, but I'm sure you will be able to.

And I can confirm that there will be 27 maps, 18 tactical battle diagrams, 15 other b/w line drawings and 33 plates in the plate section (including 6 excellent specially-comissioned drawings of troop types).

All the best

Phil Sidnell
Commissioning Editor (Ancient Warfare)
Pen & Sword Books
I'm glad to hear that! One of my gripes with many military historians is that they fail to include clear maps showing every significant place (or even most of the significant places) they mention.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Sounds great! One of my primary interests in Late Antique/Byzantine Studies is the campaigns of Belisarius. You've got a probable buyer right here! :lol:
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Quote:One of my gripes with many military historians is that they fail to include clear maps showing every significant place (or even most of the significant places) they mention.

I agree. Although many histories don't really need a lot of detailed maps, in cases such as 'Belisarius' it's very difficult to understand Belisarius' plans if you don't know where places are or why they are important.

On a positive note, I now know where Narnia is!!

Quote:
Sounds great! One of my primary interests in Late Antique/Byzantine Studies is the campaigns of Belisarius. You've got a probable buyer right here! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear you're thinking of buying it! I hope you enjoy it and find it informative!!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
To anybody in the UK that's interested:

I just received my copies of 'Belisarius' and the powers that be have decided that the RRP should be £25. However, Amazon still have the RRP at £19.99 and are selling it for £13.99. No doubt when they realise their mistake they'll put the price up!!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
Just ordered it :wink: !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Just got the book, will "dive" on it on weekend. We`ll see :twisted: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Just got the book, will "dive" on it on weekend. We`ll see :twisted: ...

GULP ... and the nerves kick in ..... Cry Confusedhock: Sad !:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Well, I finished the book two days ago Smile ...

It is a good narrative / chronological history of this enigmatic figure Belisarius with an emphasis on analyzing the battles from a strategic / tactical point of view: in short a picture of Belisarius as a general. It gives a good account of the problems the byzantine empire had to face in the east with the persians, in the south with the vandals and in Italy with the goths. The authors interpretation that Justinian didn`t have any "masterplan" about regaining the lost west to the empire is also plausible, he more or less just reacted to the opportunities opened due to the internal weakness of his enemies and serving his domestic politics.

One thing I noticed that the roman arms & armour depicted on the book are a bit "4th centurish" but then again we unfortunately don`t have very clear evidence of the arms and armament of the army of Belisarius at that time. Anyway in my opinion his army could have looked more or less like the armies of his enemies rather than wearing Intercisa / Burgh Castle-type helmets etc...

Anyway a good read, recommended to anyone interested in Belisarius especially as a general and strategist of a late roman / byzantine army. Well done Ian Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I'm going to order it. It looks pretty good
Ben.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A rather critical review of Eric Flints\' Belisarius Series Steakslim 6 2,502 12-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Last Post: marcust