Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Germanic warrior impression
Here are some pictures of myself and my group. We're portraying a Germanic retinue following during the Romano-Germanic war (12 BC to 17 AD). We hear from Tacitus that retinue bands often had members for a wide number of tribes. Most of the warriors in this band are Cherusci or Chatti, but we do have a Harudi from Jutland as well.

[attachment=5518]CopyofDSCN2037.JPG[/attachment]

I'll describe a few of the impressions in detail

[attachment=5519]CopyofDSCN2069.JPG[/attachment]

This is my impression. I am the leader of the retinue band and rank among the wealthiest member in my tribe. I have a large bronze 'achterschnalle' belt, equipped with a wide range of equipment ranging from a shaving knife to a fire striker. My sword and spears are from the grave field at Hamburg Marmsdorf. My shield is edged with iron, and I also wear a sleeveless mailshirt. My helmet is a captured Roman helmet modified in the Krefeld-Gulduba style.

[attachment=5520]CopyofDSCN2062.JPG[/attachment]

This warrior hails from the Chatti tribe. He has quite a lot of La Tene equipment (the Chatti took over an area that we previous inhabited by Celts), including a large lance, a la tene knife, fibula, and a La Tene sword based off a find from Lindholmgard, Denmark. However, virtually identicle swords were discovered in Chattan territory, but they were very poorly preserved compared to the remarkably intact Lindholmgard sword. His shield however, is of clear Germanic origin, with large shield rivits and a spiked shield boss.

[attachment=5521]CopyofDSCN2075.JPG[/attachment]

This is another Chatti warrior. He has a large shield based off the find from Vaedebro, Denmark. Similar shaped shields are known from Roman victory coins of Domitian's Chattian War. He is armed with a ribbed spear head, and a light battle axe.

[attachment=5522]CopyofDSCN2064.JPG[/attachment]

This warrior is a Harudi from the west coast of Jutland in what is now Denmark. He is well equipped with a shield edged on the top and bottom with iron, as well as a single edged sword in a wooden scabbard secured by iron clamps, as well as a lighter trusting spear. He also has an 'achterschnale' belt with three bronze strap ends. What distinguishes him as a Harudi or a warrior from Jutland for that matter is his iron neckring. These were often hinged, and were worn by the wealthier members of society as a symbol of status as power. Dozens of them have been discoved in Jutland.

[attachment=5523]CopyofDSCN2073.JPG[/attachment]

This warrior is typical of a Germanic warrior towards the end of the Romano-Germanic war (perhaps during the campaigns of Germanicus). He is armed with a very light shield with a conical iron boss. He also has a broad, but light trusting spear, as well as a very light, thin single edged sword based off a find from Hamburg Marmsdorf. This type of sword was designed for light, quick cuts, and developed as a result of facing Roman infantry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE

Messages In This Thread
Baiuware Kit - by ioannes sebald - 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by MARTINVS ARIES TEVTONICVS - 12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Liadon - 06-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Thomas Zaccone - 10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Harjaz - 10-13-2012, 10:39 PM
RE: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Keith Croteau - 02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by germanicus1 - 05-28-2018, 02:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 124,994 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Celtic warrior impression Chuck Russell 204 181,549 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ancientbattles
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,362 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS