Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Germanic warrior impression
Quote:I'm new to this thread, but noticed the discussion on the vertical javelins and horizontal hand grasp of the shield. I always thought that most shields had a vertical hand-hold, which to me makes sense. A horizontal grasp would be asking for trouble: an enemy coming at you could kick low on your shield, and you get slammed in the shins by your own shield. If the attacker slams hard on the upper part of your (horizontal-held) shield, you get smacked in the face by the shield's rim, probably a broken nose. The horizontal hold is not ergonomic nor does it seem to make sense. You cannot control your shield unless you tip it sideways... until the hand-hold is finally vertical. :roll:

Although I'm more knowledgeable about Roman context finds, but know of some Germanic stuff, I wouldn't agree with you on some points. You are totally right stating that a horizontal held shield could kick you legs or your upper body. But, to me it seems that most Germanic shields were rather small, so they wouldn't reach to you face at all (so no harm to the nose could be done. Also, a vertical hold shield is harder to carry. (Don't know if this is purely something I think because I'm more used to horizontal handles, but have fight with vertical as well), but I think I'm right in stating so, because of the ergonomics involved in the wrist when holding the shield.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Messages In This Thread
Baiuware Kit - by ioannes sebald - 10-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Jvrjenivs - 08-21-2009, 06:10 AM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by MARTINVS ARIES TEVTONICVS - 12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Liadon - 06-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Re: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Thomas Zaccone - 10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
RE: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by Keith Croteau - 02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: Show here your Germanic warrior impression - by germanicus1 - 05-28-2018, 02:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 124,952 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Celtic warrior impression Chuck Russell 204 181,518 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ancientbattles
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,352 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS