Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Show here your Germanic warrior impression
AGL! Marvelous! I am realy impressed, Redwald! I want this kit too, so jealous! 8) Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Quote:The Germanic warrior hold the javelins vertical, which means that it didn't had an horizontal handle, would be impossible to otherwise hold the javelins and the shield!

It is possible! You've got a thumb, do you?!
Stephan Eitler
WAR CHUNNI ( http://www.awaren.net )
et
ERGASTERION BOSPOROU ( https://www.facebook.com/GensDanubiusEtP...us?fref=ts )
et
HETAIROI ( www.hetairoi.de )
Quote:It is possible! You've got a thumb, do you?!

I gues it would be possible to hold it with your dumbs but that would be a very annoying and hard way to hold multiple javelins, let alone a annoying way to hold a shield without your thumb. It would be easier if you hold the handle and the direction of the javelins in the same direction.
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
I'm new to this thread, but noticed the discussion on the vertical javelins and horizontal hand grasp of the shield. I always thought that most shields had a vertical hand-hold, which to me makes sense. A horizontal grasp would be asking for trouble: an enemy coming at you could kick low on your shield, and you get slammed in the shins by your own shield. If the attacker slams hard on the upper part of your (horizontal-held) shield, you get smacked in the face by the shield's rim, probably a broken nose. The horizontal hold is not ergonomic nor does it seem to make sense. You cannot control your shield unless you tip it sideways... until the hand-hold is finally vertical. :roll:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:I'm new to this thread, but noticed the discussion on the vertical javelins and horizontal hand grasp of the shield. I always thought that most shields had a vertical hand-hold, which to me makes sense. A horizontal grasp would be asking for trouble: an enemy coming at you could kick low on your shield, and you get slammed in the shins by your own shield. If the attacker slams hard on the upper part of your (horizontal-held) shield, you get smacked in the face by the shield's rim, probably a broken nose. The horizontal hold is not ergonomic nor does it seem to make sense. You cannot control your shield unless you tip it sideways... until the hand-hold is finally vertical. :roll:

Although I'm more knowledgeable about Roman context finds, but know of some Germanic stuff, I wouldn't agree with you on some points. You are totally right stating that a horizontal held shield could kick you legs or your upper body. But, to me it seems that most Germanic shields were rather small, so they wouldn't reach to you face at all (so no harm to the nose could be done. Also, a vertical hold shield is harder to carry. (Don't know if this is purely something I think because I'm more used to horizontal handles, but have fight with vertical as well), but I think I'm right in stating so, because of the ergonomics involved in the wrist when holding the shield.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I got a shield with horizontal grip and get no problems.
If you move or fight the normal physic of the hand is little tilt, so the shield axis is never vertical.
'It is tilt to.
Only the move with the shield, like boxing the enemy, will get your the hand horizontal and the shield vertical, but now you have now a long arm an the small shield can not reach the face.
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
I've made and used both types.
Horizontal grips do work well with long shields, especially curved ones. In a tight formation, you can really get in hard behind the shield and brace it with the whole side of your body, rather than just your shoulder and thigh which is the case with a vertical grip.
Also, when using the shield dynamically in open order you don't hold it square on in front of you but at an angle across the body, this allows you to brace with your forearm, meaning that you can put a lot of force into sweeping with the shield when using it defensively as well as being able to punch with it offensively.

With a round shield....how can you tell WHICH way up you should hold it? :wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:With a round shield....how can you tell WHICH way up you should hold it? :wink:

by the picture on the front of course :roll:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Thanks for the input, guys. Smile
I had always wondered about the two different handholds and why? As Matt points out: since a Germanic shield is small and round, it can easily be tilted to cover several situations. I sometimes carry a long oval Auxilliary shield which has the horizontal hold, and I've often felt that an enemy's well-placed kick could do me harm. But perhaps in the really old days in Europe, not many men would think of attacking with their feet. (I watch too many kung fu movies. :roll: )
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Hello

I'm Hengist, first i apologizebecause i speak the worst english that is possible.... I'm the leader of the french group "Le Musée Itinérant" => [url:25fwtnk4]http://lemusee.canalblog.com/[/url]
We "are" merovingian...

Here is my Germanic warrior impression from a burial of VI°century of the Vron cimetery in Picardy (France)

[Image: SG1L7488.JPG]

More civilian pictures...

[Image: SG1L7447.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0072.JPG]

[Image: SG1L7406.JPG]
Christian Delabos
Le Musée Itinérant (France)
Hengist .Welcome ! Great Impressions 8) regards Dave
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Quote:Hengist .Welcome ! Great Impressions 8) regards Dave

Apologize. Sad
Christian Delabos
Hi Christian. Welcome!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Hi Christian. Welcome!

Thanks! Big Grin

Some others warriors of our group

[Image: SG1L7506.JPG]
Agarwaen

[Image: SG1L7493.JPG]
Warulfe

[Image: SG1L7487.JPG]
Hotger

[Image: SG1L7545.JPG]
Weldman, Hengist and one of my son
Christian Delabos
Quote:
barcid:t8tdfxs8 Wrote:Hengist .Welcome ! Great Impressions 8) regards Dave

Apologize. Sad

No Problem Mate :lol: . More great Pics thank you 8)
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Christian,

You folks look great! How many in your group? Big Grin
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression Alanus 108 125,374 07-03-2020, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Sooqa
  Show here your Celtic warrior impression Chuck Russell 204 181,983 12-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ancientbattles
  Show here your Thracian warrior impression Dain II. 22 32,479 05-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Last Post: AMELIANVS