Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devotio
I wrote a little article on devotio, the ritual self-sacrifice of Roman generals. The obvious examples and the Greek parallels are all there, but I somehow have a feeling that there must be more stories. Anyone any suggestions?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Ross Cowan has a chapter on devotio in his book, [amazon]For the Glory of Rome: A History of Warriors and Warfare[/amazon]. I'm afraid I don't have it to hand, though.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thanks; I've ordered it.
Jona Lendering
My website
Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed your article.

I believe that a later tradition held that Claudius Gothicus performed a devotio of sorts.

Quote: …another, following the example of the Decii, had sacrificed his life for the safety of the republic …

Ammianus Marcellinus, 16.10.3

This wasn’t a true devotio, but it was a rewriting of history by Constantine’s supporters. (Other sources say he died in a plague.) Constatine claimed kinship or some connection with Gothicus, I think. So this story was used as propaganda.

You can see a bit more of this story in this article with sources. I guess this story is in Victor too, but I don't have him handy.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Ammianus Marcellinus, 16.10.3
Thanks!
Jona Lendering
My website
I remember one text about on single soldier running against all the enemy formation. I think it was refered by Josephus... :? Well, it's not a very helpful information, but seems another devotio.
Quote:I remember one text about on single soldier running against all the enemy formation.
Aristodemus in Herodotus 9.71?
Jona Lendering
My website
Now i'm at home and can give you some citations:

The first devotio: P. Decio Mus (Livy, VIII, 9)

It was a familiar tradition ( :lol: ) because his son and the son of his son have do too devotio: (Livy, X, 28, 12-18; Pol. II, 19; Cicero, Tusc. I, 89)

Another devotio is in Livy V, 41: suicide of the roman magistrati against the gaul inveders of rome.

I try to search more citations...
Wondering howmany reenactor generals are going to star demonstrating ....

Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America