Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Babylonian War (for Italian, Spanish, French speakers)
My friend Bert van der Spek knows an awful lot about cuneiform sources, and is currently preparing the "Babylonian Chronicles of the Hellenistic Period", which contain lots of new information about Seleucid Babylonia.

Although the focus of Bert's research is on social and economic history, the chronicles also document several ancient wars. One of them is the little-known Babylonian War of 311-309, for which the Chronicle of the Diadochi offers a lot of information. He has discovered that Antigonus Monophthalmus was soundly defeated by Seleucus - something not recorded in the Greek sources, although Polyaenus may refer to it. The implication is, generally, that the Battle of Ipsus merely confirmed what had already been decided on the plains of the Euphrates and Tigris.

The problem is, Bert is an assyriologist, which means that he is even more absent-minded and even less aware of normal society than other ancient historians. He is also absolutely unaware of anything happening on the internet. Which means that he has made a nice discovery, and nobody will ever notice, except for a couple of assyriologists.

So I have written two wiki articles about the Babylonian War (Dutch, English) and our Stefan has translated it into German. It's a pretty state of the art piece, actually a bit too good for the Wikipedia.

Now my request: Is there anyone over here who might translate it into French, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, or just improve my English? Any help will be sincerely appreciated!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Excellent article, Jona. Let's hope they don't pull out the old "No Original Research" complaint against you.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Excellent article, Jona. Let's hope they don't pull out the old "No Original Research" complaint against you.
Most of it is covered in the article by Wheatley, although several points are indeed from Bert's work, which he has released through my Babylonian Chronicles web pages, but has not published as a book.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Most of it is covered in the article by Wheatley ...
Excellent chap -- looking forward to his biography of Demetrius Poliorcetes.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/