Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One belt or two?
From my reading of the evidence from grave stones here:
http://www.mcbishop.co.uk/jrmes/vol03/bishop.pdf
It appears that the use of two belts were more common than not
well into the Imperial period. Should most reenactors be wearing two belts
rather than one? One with apron and one without? And if so which one
for the Pugio (with Pugio frogs) and which one without.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Pugio goes on the apron belt. It's a permanent and valued sign of the soldier, as is the apron. I think the sculptural evidence backs this up as well, as I've looked into it in the past and always came to that conclusion.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I guess that depends on whether you feel that segs were worn more than hamatae during the period in question? Try wearing two belts with a seg - nigh on impossible, at least based upon my own experimentation. A large proportion of the stelae evidence shows soldiers essentially un-armoured (i.e. not wearing segs, although some may be wearing hamatae the painted detail of which has been eroded?). What if once you took your seg off you wore your sword on a belt and not on a baldric - hence the two belts? Just a theory.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Many have concluded that a hook or leather string was used to stabilize the belt with segmentata. The connector is inserted between the plates, and captures the belt. Some people have no trouble, others can't keep the belt up for love nor money.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Should more re-enactors do more research: YES!

Okay, this sounds very hard, but I still see to many groups copiing other re-enactors or using stuff together they like, don't mind if it could be used together or not.

I again would suggest to use the 2-belt system only by wearing hamata or squamata. But again, we have to few legionairy soldiers wearing those types of armor, so then that shouldn't be a problem.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I wear two belts on a hamata (and in the near future on a squamata). I think it looks better. I use a shoulder baldric when wearing hamata. My balteus used to be very firm in place while wearing a squamata, but recently I lost a lot of weight, due to appendix surgery and now my balteus tends to slip down while sprinting. I solved this problem by tying a piece of leather lace around the belt at the front and securing it to one of the lacing loops of the seg.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Salvete Omnes!

I seem to remember this being discussed before. Try doing a search of the archives under 'Baldric'. If you come up with nothing then just ignore me :?
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]