Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preparing sinew?
Salvete Omnes!

Does anyone have some pointers on how to prepare sinew for use? I have some neck tendons of large deer and would like to use these to collect strands for tying fletching to some arrows.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Try this:

http://bowyersworkshop.com/sinewharvest1.htm
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Thanks Sean! Helpfull site (and I see where I went wrong before! It's: First dry, then pound :oops: )
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert, I assume you have dried sinew. You want to reduce it to threads. For leg sinew, beating it silly is always a good way to do this. Use a wooden mallet, or rubber mallet, against an anvil, large stone, etc. As you pound it, it will begin to seperate into threads, which is what you want. Dont use a metal hammer, as you may damage the sinew that way. A wooden carving mallet works well.

If it is backstrap or neck sinew, you can start the process with your hands, roughly shredding it. Then, you can make a kind of comb by driving some small nails through a piece of scrap wood, and begin pulling the sinew through the teeth of the comb. Keep repeating this reduction method, shredding it into smaller and smaller threads, until you have threads of the diameter you wish for. Then make the threads into string by reverse twisting method, or just use a few threads together for fletching.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Hi Dane,

No, I have raw sinew presently soaking in bleach like it said on the website. Does your method of "shredding and combing" work on raw (undried) sinew as well??
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Salve, Robert. You will have to dry the sinew before you can process it, no matter what. After it is processed into strings / fibers, than you will proceed with soaking in hide glue, etc, when you are ready to fletch.

Be advised that dogs love dried sinew, so if you have pets, keep it out of reach. My pug tried to eat some of my dried leg sinew, must have been yummy smelling.

Dane
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Cats are not attracted to it, I know from past experience. And it smells of bleach now Smile I'll go give it a good wash and hang it out to dry. Thanks!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
I've read that native North American peoples chewed the tendons to soften and separate the fibers- not that I'm suggesting you might want to try it Robert, but just putting it out there as an actual method Big Grin
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:I've read that native North American peoples chewed the tendons to soften and separate the fibers- not that I'm suggesting you might want to try it Robert, but just putting it out there as an actual method Big Grin

Please think of the poor archaeologists of the future. Last thing they need is sinew chewing marks on the teeth of a 21st century dutchman :lol: . We get confused easily enough as it is :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
And more on topic a question on sinew:

Do we have any evidence for roman leatherwork that was sewn with sinew thread instead of linen thread?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sinew source Warhammer1 0 943 07-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Warhammer1
  Sinew have you seen???? stultus 4 1,373 05-20-2006, 10:08 PM