Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next up for filming: "Anabasis"
According to Variety.com for July 31 Columbia will film Xenophon's "Anabasis." What do you want to bet they title it "10,000"?
The big trick is going to be working a love story into it.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:According to Variety.com for July 31 Columbia will film Xenophon's "Anabasis." What do you want to bet they title it "10,000"?

Or 'Out of Iran', or 'The Battle against Persia'! Not that I'm suggesting presidential pressure in the naming!! :lol:

Quote:The big trick is going to be working a love story into it.

Welll, you see Cyrus had this daughter who ...... Confusedhock:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
How about

"I am going home you B******s!!!!!!"

Kind regards

As for the love story:
Cyrus had this thing with this Hetera of Miletos historically true if we believe uncle Phondas (Xenophon to you!)

Or

Queen mother had this "thingie" about the younger son if you want to make it provocative!

Or

Queen Epyaxa had an impotent husband; fell in love with Cyrus and draen him in adventure that cost him his life

Kind regards
Quote:According to Variety.com for July 31 Columbia will film Xenophon's "Anabasis." What do you want to bet they title it "10,000"?
The big trick is going to be working a love story into it.

Not really, if you have read the 10,000 by MCF, he did a great job of putting romance into the story! :wink:

Or to be more accurate, The Ten Thousand....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:According to Variety.com for July 31 Columbia will film Xenophon's "Anabasis."
I hope they will be filming on location. I once followed a part of his trail in eastern Turkey -what he called Armenia- and some of it is really beautiful. Filming in Iraq will be a bit harder, I expect. :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
All of this is dependent, of course, upon Columbia finding a script they like.

George Clooney optioned Gates of Fire years ago and they have yet to agree upon a script.

This could take awhile...

As for a love story -- Well Cyrus had this son you see... Confusedhock: :oops:

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
You're not saying Xenophon and Cyrus.... Confusedhock: Confusedhock: no, surely not!! :o shock: :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Isn't Xenophon hinting somewhere that Cyrus had an affair with the wife of the syennesis of Cilicia?
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:You're not saying Xenophon and Cyrus.... Confusedhock: Confusedhock: no, surely not!! :o shock: :?

I was not present so I can not say for certain, however, that's what I heard...

I also note that one of the producers of this new film was the Historical Consultant for the HBO Rome series. Not sure if that is a good sign or one that says "Caution -- Danger Ahead"

As always, time will tell, but given the story of the Ten Thousand I wonder if it would be better as an HBO series rather than a feature film. Trying to cram that story into a 2 or even 3 hour running time seems like a tough row to hoe. Look a how much story / character "truncating" took place in the Rome series and they had more than 12 hours.

Likewise, I think Gates of Fire wold work much better as an HBO series -- more time to luxuriate in the story with all if the details and characters intact.

Also...Jona, I do not remember that, but you may well be correct. It has been some time since I read Xenophon and my copy does not have a handy index.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Isn't Xenophon hinting somewhere that Cyrus had an affair with the wife of the syennesis of Cilicia?

Yes that why I posted about Queen Epyaxa
Syennnesis was client king of Cilcia.
The lady had a mind of her own or Syennnesis was "henpecked" or the lady had the money and Syennnesis had to shut up and listen,

Lots of options!

Kind regards
Quote:
Jona Lendering:3ftx69d4 Wrote:Isn't Xenophon hinting somewhere that Cyrus had an affair with the wife of the syennesis of Cilicia?

Yes that why I posted about Queen Epyaxa
OK; I did not remember her name. Thanks.
Jona Lendering
My website
I would agree most definately these stories would be better told as series,
I had fantasies of such when I first reqad them, but imagined there would be no interest in such things from TV networks....then along came Rome! Big Grin
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have been hoping somebody would recognize the potential of Xenophons Anabasis for ages.
I also think the story would be better told as a series on TV then in a cinematic adaption, but maybe they will do it as a triology? Big Grin
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Actially, it was filmed once before, as Arthur Hill's "The Warriors," about a teenage gang having to fight its way back across an Apocalyptic New York after a gang conference ended in treachery. Look it up. It's based on the Anabasis.
Pecunia non olet
Hmmmm, I read the book and saw the movie....never made the connection though!
Or perhaps that is where the confusion came in, as the image of heroism they wanted to be seen in, did not jibe with the reality of street gangs..... :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel