Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yo! Is this good Latin?
In reading the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis (set in Vespasian's Rome), she has the protagonist and his friend Petronius frequently greet each other with, "Io!"

I read that as "Yo!", and it certainly works in the writing. I'm just curious, because my Latin is weak at best and certainly not conversational.

Is "Io!" documented as a Latin or period greeting? Or is it just artistic license for something that probably existed, but was too informal to be recorded anywhere?

Inquiring minds want to know, and thanks.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
IO is more like "hooray" than "hello". Such as in Io Saturnalia!
Hello is usually said, "Salve" (be safe {healthy, protected}) or "Ave", usually translated "hail" (from which we get the word "hello"). Those are the singulars, the plurals are "Salvete" and "Avete", and followed in either case by a name in the vocative case.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for a quick and informative reply. That would make me think twice about using it in a conversational context.
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Io Io, Saturnus in da house, boooyyyyeeee :twisted:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
I've often wondered if "Ave!" was the root of the North East England greeting "Away, man."?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I've often wondered if "Ave!" was the root of the North East England greeting "Away, man."?
Well, why not? In Holland (probably Flanders too), we have "jeminee", to express a combination of shock and amazement, which is certainly derived from "gemini". It's probably not just nouns and verbs that we've taken from Latin, but interjections as well.

And if I may digress a bit, I recently discovered the most insane etymology I've ever encountered: the Dutch word "ouwehoeren" means something like "to waffle", "to talk nonsense". Some purists spell it "oudehoeren", as if it's derived from two words meaning "old hookers". But it's actually derived from... augur!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks Jona!
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I can easily see "jeminee" being related to the "Jiminy Cricket" some people say, when amazed, without really knowing why. (Ignoring the Disney influence on the language.) According to my father, my Swedish great-grandfather used to say, "Yumpin Yiminy." also a clear cognate, as such things go.

That "augur" origin is really special, though!
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
"...he didn't say 'true love', he said, 'to blave', which everyone knows means 'to bluff'...."
(Miracle Max in The Princess Bride)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards...
Wayne Anderson/ Wander
Quote:I've often wondered if "Ave!" was the root of the North East England greeting "Away, man."?

That's so bizarre, my dad was talking about this a few days ago Confusedhock:

From same conversation:

There is an old Midland/ Warwickshire term 'pugin' which is crude slang for the male member- we wonder if it comes from 'pugio'.
A man's 'weapon' so to speak Big Grin
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:Well, why not? In Holland (probably Flanders too), we have "jeminee", to express a combination of shock and amazement, which is certainly derived from "gemini".

The expression is known in Flanders, but we don't use it, unless we want to imitate a dutchman :lol:
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I just checked an on-line etymological dictionary for the english word Jiminy is likely Jesu Domine. It makes more sense to me that a phrase that denotes shock and awe, should be derived Jesus rather than Twins.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=jiminy
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
Jup, the latter is right. We also have it in German as "Oh Jehmineh!"
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.