Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrows; light versus heavy
Salvete Omnes!

I have a theory which I would like to put before you.

I have noticed different types of socket sizes on reputed arrowheads. Biblades and trilobate are often less thick (7-8 mm) then heavier bodkin types (9 - 11 mm). Could this indicate a difference in use, the lighter arrows (having a smaller diameter), used to pepper the enemy at long ranges, having less penetrating power but sporting nasty arrowheads, difficult to remove when striking flesh versus the heavier arrows being used at closer range, packing more punch (mass), to penetrate defensive devises like mail and shields?

Has someone also had this idea and put it to the test?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Biblades and trilobate are often less thick (7-8 mm) then heavier bodkin types (9 - 11 mm). Could this indicate a difference in use ... the heavier arrows being used at closer range, packing more punch (mass), to penetrate defensive devises like mail and shields?
If we are talking about the same thing, Robert, the bodkin type are usually interpreted as catapult arrowheads, like this one from Vindolanda.

[Image: 190091432_ce3dd31d65.jpg]
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I am sorry, I should have been more specific of the length of the projectile point. I am aware that these long, heavy bodkin style points are associated with catapult bolts and rightly so, I would say. The bodkins I was refering to are about 6 to 7.5 cm overall length and much more slender then the one depicted here. 11 mm is a max. size for the shaft. The point is mostly square to roundish (Vindonissa) in cross section.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
I don't know much about Roman arrowheads, but that sounds possible. Are these types of arrows found in the same contexts?

Every bow-bearing culture seems to develop different sizes and shapes of arrowheads for different purposes (light, conical arrowheads to shoot long distances; heavy, leaf-bladed or barbed ones to kill at close range, etc.) Unfortunately, they were rarely courtious enough to explain why they used each type in writing! And sometimes different styles were just a matter of taste.

I think there is a theory that Medieval bodkins, at least, were an 'all purpose' arrow that could carry medium distances and wound unarmoured men.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
If it is a Bodkin type head, you are going to need a heavy shaft. Re longbows, A war bow of say #120 needs a shaft about .5" thick. Add about 400 grains of iron up front and you need a hefty shaft that is going to travel at about 160fps.
Smaller heads(lighter) used from hunting bows say #60-#70 could get away with a11/32" shaft. Some of the hunting broadhead were really nasty looking things.
You can use lighter heads as "gallers" But if using a heavy bow you still need the high arrow spine.
It some times just depends on what culture were shooting them. Tri lobate heads seem reasonably common in the Steppe archers quiver.
The thickness of their arrow shafts I would guess was tied to the availability of materials.
I hope you can make some sense out of all this.
Its late and its been a long day.
Jon R.
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
It could be that the ones for a narrower shaft are meant for hunting purposes rather than warfare where less penetrative power is required?
I think the archers at the seige at Alesia used a combination of hunting heads and the more penetrative bodkins. Different purposes, different effects...
Somewhere in Peter Inkers book Caesar's Gallic Triumph! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Robert, my understanding is bodkin style points are designed to penetrate chain maile effectively, as well as of course shields and other kinds of armor. They only can be really used effectively with a very powerful bow shooting, as was mentioned, a heavy shaft, and the English warbow folks are about the only ones that I know of shooting that kind of gear. They generally only shoot at very long distances, clout and roving type shooting, to simulate English army tactics of the 14th century. They would be the folks to talk to, such as on primitivearcher.com. Go log in and create a password, free and easy, and you will find a section in the bow forums regarding English War Bows.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica