Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My New Lupercal Plates Belt
This is what I have been working on to compliment the re-worked Find-It Scabbard. The plates and buckle were made by the excellent Matt Lukes (nuff said!). The leatherwork is by me and is two layers of veg tan goatskin sewn together so that face leather can be seen front and back.

[Image: DSCF0077.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
My camera skills do not really do Matt's excellent work justice, but here are some more pictures anyway!

[Image: DSCF0078.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
..and more..

[Image: DSCF0079.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
...still awake?...

[Image: DSCF0082.jpg]

The buckle has the most exquisite punchwork decoration...and I just love it Big Grin
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Very nice indeed mate! They look good together.
Thanks Ade - I'll be trying out the "gunslinger" twin belt set up at Dover!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Just gotta tin it all now! :wink: Confusedhock:
I have a cunning plan for that :wink: . Actually the pictures do not show it that well but the background of the lupercal plates is silvered. I/ll be doing this on some of the scabbard parts and maybe that lovely buckle too.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Jesus...you're going to be one snazy looking legionary Barry. Better go for an officer impression! :lol:

Also, did you rivet the plates through both halves of the leather, or just the outer one?

Legion: TBD
I really like the way you (well, Matt) have silvered the inner raised surface on those plates.
Well done, these look terrific !!

When will you be back in England? I am much awaiting your scabbard idea on that nasty Germanic knife I sent you. Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Jesus...you're going to be one snazy looking legionary Barry. Better go for an officer impression! :lol:

Also, did you rivet the plates through both halves of the leather, or just the outer one?

Thanks Matt - although I reckon that most troops would have had equipment like this IMHO, "even" us lowly Auxilliary types LOL.

On this occasion I have rivetted through both layers. I have heard the theory that maybe the plates were only rivetted through the outer layer and it is something I would like to try at a later date. It is certainly a very interesting theory and would explain how a lot of the belt plates found with rivets intact appear to have been affixed to very thin material?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Yep, not to mention it would save a bit of wear on tunica, for those who don't wear the facia ventralis.

Legion: TBD
Matt what I found with the double layer goatskin is that the roves and rivet heads sink nicely into the leather and it really feels as smooth as a baby's bum on the back of the belt. No snagging! I'll take a picture of the rear of the belt and you can see what I mean.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Here's what I mean:

[Image: DSCF0085.jpg]
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:I really like the way you (well, Matt) have silvered the inner raised surface on those plates.
Well done, these look terrific !!

When will you be back in England? I am much awaiting your scabbard idea on that nasty Germanic knife I sent you. Big Grin

Thanks Robert - and you are right the credit goes to Matt Lukes on those plates.

4 days to go and then the knife will be in my hands Robert! Cannot wait!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Roman Belt with mixed plates models. Rado 15 5,749 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Tinning belt plates 2biggij 9 3,281 04-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Value of belt plates and parts Latinitas 9 2,542 08-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius