Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman fire-fighters - killed in action !!!
Avete omnes,<br>
<br>
today I found the following article in my daily paper containing the report about excavations in Titz nearby Jülich (Roman Jvliacvm / Germania inferior). There two men of a fire-brigade were found together with their syringe.<br>
<br>
I remember we had a topic about Roman pumps this year, but I could not find it and if I recall correct we even have a modern fire-fighter in R.A.T., for him and everybody else interested in this fascinating story I have translated the article as follows:<br>
<br>
<strong>"Titz. Archaeologists opened the oldest chapter of German fire-brigade history: during excavations in the Rhine country they found one fire-brigade syringe from the Roman time and just beside it two skeletons. "That is the earliest proven fire-brigade in Germany", said the archaeologist Bernd Paeffgen on Tuesday in Titz nearby Juelich. The extinguish-pipe proves that the Roman fire-brigade in Germany worked with High Tech equipment approximately 1650 years ago and did not extinguish fire by using bucket chains as has been accepted.<br>
<br>
Somewhat helpless Paeffgen stood with its colleagues on the excavation field of a Roman villa: There a 1.10 meter long, narrow iron pipe, strongly rusty, lay already broken into individual parts. "First we thought of a swordâ€ÂÂ
Greets - Uwe
This is a very interesting article; thanks for posting it. For reference, a 'bar' is indeed a unit of pressure; it is 100,000 Pascals, which is almost precisely atmospheric pressure at sea level.<br>
<br>
"Spritze" might possibly be better translated as "nozzle" or "sprayer" than "syringe"; what it refers to I'm pretty sure is the actual hose nozzle that the firemen used.<br>
<br>
Great article, and pretty sophisticated firefighting equipment for a country villa, I might add.<br>
<br>
Rich K.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>