Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Extraordinarius
So, I know the Extraordinarius was the vanguard of the Republican legion. Did they have any special functions? Also, what kind of helmets would they have worn? Fancier helmets than the standard montefortino?

This is how I am depicting them so far in 0 A.D....
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
The infantry furnished by the Allies(Socii) during a call-up were roughly equal in numbers to the Legions, but organised into the various regional cohorts.The Allies also furnished between 2 and 3 times as many cavalry as the Romans themselves.Each consul named 12 Praefecti Sociorum(Prefects of the Allies), equivalent to Legionary Tribunes to command the Allies.
From the assembly/muster present, a selection was made of the best fifth of the infantry, and third of the cavalry, to form the extraordinarii(lit: those outside the ranks/main body).
The extraordinarii pedites formed the vanguard of the army on the march and the Consul's position was just behind them, followed by the right-wing Allies, then the two Roman Legions, then the left-wing Allies.
In a withdrawal, the extraordinarii sometimes brought up the rear.
In the camp, these selected men camped close to the Consul, and were in effect the vanguard, a reserve and a guard similar to later Praetorians.....

Since they were simply selected from those called up, it is highly unlikely that they looked any different to other Allied soldiers, though one might speculate that as a picked force, they might adopt some distinguishing mark .....a field sign of some kind, or crest feathers of a particular colour, say, at all events something that could be quickly adopted on campaign......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Since they were simply selected from those called up, it is highly unlikely that they looked any different to other Allied soldiers, though one might speculate that as a picked force, they might adopt some distinguishing mark .....a field sign of some kind, or crest feathers of a particular colour, say, at all events something that could be quickly adopted on campaign......

Well, its worth bearing in mind that the "other Allied soldiers" needn't have all looked identical to one another. I would think the Extraordinarii would have been picked on account of their being physically superior or better-equipped than those around them. The idea of a distinguishing mark of some sort seems like a decent possibility.
Paul
USA
OT - but I can't wait for this game Michael...

Legion: TBD
Thanks Magnus/Matt. And thanks guys for the replies. I guess I'll look around Google for some images of interesting Roman helmet designs.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Game? What game? When, where? :o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Game? What game? When, where? :o

Check his signature. Smile

But just in case:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad

Those Scotsmen, they are very effective in battle, but need to be shown the direction.. Tongue twisted:
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
I ques any other kind of Celtic helmet would do isn't it?
as long as it's somewhere between 400 BC and 100 BC??
Where they recruited from any specific area of Europe?
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:13oszfgz Wrote:Game? What game? When, where? :o

Check his signature. Smile

But just in case:

http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad

Those Scotsmen, they are very effective in battle, but need to be shown the direction.. Tongue twisted:

Battle what battle? where? when?...... :oops:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Extraordinarii are fascinating and infuriating, because so little is written about them. It's impossible (for me) to tell from Polibius whether the selected extraordinarii are literally the best fifth of the in infantry individuals, or instead are the best turned out fifth of the allied cohorts. I am inclined to believe that latter, not because I've seen any text supporting it, but just beause it makes sense.

Forming a unit from a bunch of strangers from different towns who don't know each other would actually make the unit less cohesive than one of the standard allied cohorts drawn from a single town. In addition, the allies are not invariably drawn from the Latins, so an ad hoc unit could end up with Oscans, Brutians, Latins and evn Ligurians all mixed up together -- again probably not a recipe for success.

But still, the sources are so vague I'd say you have a lot of freedom to portray them however is best for the game.

Frank Chadwick
Frank Chadwick
Res ipso loquitor