Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for another historian to read
Quote:The Loeb translations are very variable, some (Pliny the Younger's Letters) being very good, others running the range down to mediocre and even in spots poor (laughable — and simple — translation errors in Pliny the Elder, inconsistencies in Celsus for example); with proofreading generally on the mediocre side. They are, however, the most commonly available; and because they generally failed to comply with the procedures of the then US law, they've very often fallen into the public domain far earlier than they should have: as a result, yes I've picked up a bunch of them on Lacus. Still, if you can treat yourself to hardbound, I'd spring for the Oxfords.

I'm not much of a military buff, even if this is the wrong forum to be admitting it, so I have no opinion on the quality of Loeb's Caesar. In general, what's not on my site is at Forum Romanum, including ps-Caesar's Alexandrine, Spanish, and African Wars (here). That one page looks like gibberish because of coding errors — David Camden is essentially no longer maintaining the site — but the links are there and the texts themselves are fine. Forum Romanum is your first stop for all of Latin literature; LATO for Greek (also not really maintained these days, but the text sites don't decay anywhere near as fast as other websites).

Thanks, I'll check out those sites.
Steve
You might want to try Dionysius of Halicarnassus. I think he is very good to read alongside Livy. They must have often used the same sources, and I think they complement each other well.

He was Greek and wrote in Greek probably for a Greek audience. One of his themes is that the Romans were themselves descended from Greeks. I believe he was trying to counter the common opinion that the Romans were descended from Aeneas and the Trojans.

He seems rather flamboyant at times to me, and you have to be careful with some of the things he says, but I still think he is quite interesting to read.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:You might want to try Dionysius of Halicarnassus. I think he is very good to read alongside Livy. They must have often used the same sources, and I think they complement each other well.

He was Greek and wrote in Greek probably for a Greek audience. One of his themes is that the Romans were themselves descended from Greeks. I believe he was trying to counter the common opinion that the Romans were descended from Aeneas and the Trojans.

He seems rather flamboyant at times to me, and you have to be careful with some of the things he says, but I still think he is quite interesting to read.

Thanks, maybe I can use him to fill in the missing volumes of Livy. I'll look into him.
Steve