Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you seen this stuff yet? (bronze casting with no cast)
IMO even sand casting will give better results, and is less expensive.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:IMO even sand casting will give better results, and is less expensive.

Do you know someone near you that does sand casting? Because learning to make sand molds with a cope and drag is an art in and of itself.
And the local bronze casting place charges an arm and a leg for their services.
If you have someone affordable then you're very lucky.
I'm not so fortunate. That's why I'm excited about this product.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Quote:Do you know someone near you that does sand casting? Because learning to make sand molds with a cope and drag is an art in and of itself.
Well, I do, and I think it is quite easy to do. I thought differently before I started doing it, though.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I was excited, myself, when I first saw this thread, and the results from the links I looked at are just beautiful.

But, perhaps this is a case of if it is too good to be true, it is. My own little bronze casting furnace is propane fired, lined with refractory rated at 1800 degrees, and gives me about 5 melting runs per standard propane tank, the same kind you use in a barbeque grill. It weighs about 100 pounds, so it is reasonably portable. Sand casting is not that hard, and I did my first sand cast in the 7th grade in a metal shop summer elective. If a 13 year old can do it, anyone here can.

I think I've invested about 400 bucks in materials and tools, so although there is the initial expenses of setting up, and a learning curve for making molds, etc., real bronze is real bronze. The whole reason I decided to go that route is for making catapult parts, and Roman arrow heads. Finding a machine shop or a bronze casting company was just too expensive, ever before setup costs.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Quote:
Quote:Do you know someone near you that does sand casting? Because learning to make sand molds with a cope and drag is an art in and of itself.
Well, I do, and I think it is quite easy to do. I thought differently before I started doing it, though.

You wouldn't happen to have a set of instructions to do this would you? I've ALWAYS wanted to try it. Heck I don't even know where to get the sand.
Also, how do you flux the bronze? I know that something needs to be added to it but I have no idea what...
Appreciate the help in any form it may come.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Pedro, order yourself the book The Complete Handbood of Sand Casting, CW Ammen, Tab Books, division of McGow Hill publishers, ISBN 0-8306-1043-X. It should help you a great deal. Everything you want to know about casting in sand, sand cores, sourcing and preparing sand, various alloys, safety, fluxing, tools, the whole enchelada. It is an inexpensive paperback, too.

A good website to visit is www.backyardmetalcasting.com . Tons of info, how to build small forges on a budget, suppliers, a wealth of info, and lots of stuff on what others do, tiny forges, coffee can melting pots, all kinds of neat things. One guy even casts iron in his backyard.

I am using silicon bronze, Everdur, and no zinc to breath while casting.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dane
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Some videos on sand casting:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
How difficult is the actual moulding process? I have access to a small induction furnace. I'm familiar with the melting process but i've never tried moulding or casting?

PS. Guess I could always have just read the two posts above before posting this..............
Scott Goring
Quote:A good website to visit is www.backyardmetalcasting.com . Tons of info, how to build small forges on a budget, suppliers, a wealth of info, and lots of stuff on what others do, tiny forges, coffee can melting pots, all kinds of neat things. One guy even casts iron in his backyard.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dane,

Thanks very much, that's a great link, lots of good info that helps quite a bit.

Laudes!

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Quote:Pedro, order yourself the book The Complete Handbood of Sand Casting, CW Ammen, Tab Books, division of McGow Hill publishers, ISBN 0-8306-1043-X. It should help you a great deal. Everything you want to know about casting in sand, sand cores, sourcing and preparing sand, various alloys, safety, fluxing, tools, the whole enchelada. It is an inexpensive paperback, too.

A good website to visit is www.backyardmetalcasting.com . Tons of info, how to build small forges on a budget, suppliers, a wealth of info, and lots of stuff on what others do, tiny forges, coffee can melting pots, all kinds of neat things. One guy even casts iron in his backyard.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dane

"A bit"?
Dane that helps a LOT!
A laudes for you sir.
Thanks very much! Great stuff there.
Titus Petronicus Graccus
Cohors I Vindelicorvm

Pedro Bedard
Awesome and very information filled post! Now I am all excited to do some sand casting again!
Theodorex Rufus

aka Brent Jacobson

Equites Honoraini Senores
I am really glad you guys found the info useful. My pleasure.

Once I get to casting bronze parts over the next few months, I'll document it all and provide info and photos. But that will happen when it happens. Should be tons of fun, and that is one of the best things about all this Roman stuff - you get to make things in vogue 2000 years ago. Smile
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
Pedro

I have done a little casting, no bronze but some silver and pewter ... i can see a combined project coming along when i get myself settled.

Got a couple of books on the subject they will take a while to follow me out there but strikes me as a good winter project (at least it will be warm) Smile

N.
Another good place to dig around for casting information is the Bronze Age Center,

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/index.php ?

There are a couple VERY informative threads there, though I don't think the search function really works so you might just have to browse back through old threads. There aren't that many, though. Most of this will be discussing casting with actual historical methods, but many of the hints and tips will still be useful.

Have fun!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:20% eh? that is quite a lot to factor in isn't it? :?

I think that figure is about right. Here is a picture of two "coins" that were the same size once. The picture shows one fire, one green:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_efcyYI2SSkA/SIQ ... 0654sm.jpg

This link will go more into the honest art and science of firing this stuff. It appears to alot of fine tuning to get the firing right with predictable results. PMC underwent the same learnng curve when it was new.
http://www.tonyadavidson.com/musings_an ... -clay.html

I excited to see what this stuff can do, too. But it doesn't sound like all the Rah! Rah! was saying at first.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brass, Bronze, Silver and Gold Casting Pointer 1 1,144 02-20-2019, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Bronze casting video Gunthamund Hasding 1 1,061 12-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  Bronze strigils: cast or wrought? thebeadlady 6 1,735 08-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Creon01