Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a good gladiator armguard
hey guys, i'm wondering where to get a good armguard for my murmillo armorset. I have this Lorica Segmentata armguard but it's far from comfortable when fighting. Also it tends to fall apart very easy when freefighting.

Anyone here knows a good site to order one or got some kind of tutorial to make a good fitting one myself I really like the one this dude is wearing here

[Image: ad_1_i000b6f.gif]
Polemarch of the Spartiates: Aegiadae

Hardwig
http://spartiates.agogeads.be
Which armeguard is apropriate depends on the period you want to display.

Scale or mail manicae are more appropriate for the early 4th century AD, while quilted linen, segmented leather or rarely segmented metal manicae can be found in earlier periods of gladitorial iconography.
So you will want to match your helmet type with the manica you are wearing.

Concerning availability, you can get quilted/padded linen as well as segmented leather or metal from Deepeeka resellers.
Both paddel linen and segmented leather are easy to build yourself however, and though my first try on a padded manica is a littele bit on the large side, I am very happy with the look and feel of it.

Some of my colleagues use the Deepeeka metal segmented manica on a padded backing and are also very comfortable with it.

I dont think there are any scale or mail manicae availabe as such, but at least in mail you can get mail arm pieces from different sources.
Concerning scale you can get the individual scales and leather backing also, but you will have to build the final manica yourself I guess.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
A little bit late, but i now saw this topic.

If I'm right Deepeeka also has a scaled armguard, but I don't believe it's useable. For a metal segemented armguard I would advice the Armamentaria one, or a custom one made by Matt Lukes.

Padded linen ones, you can make easily yourself, indeed. I used [url:3a0ok16q]http://www.vicus.org.uk/documents/gladiatorpad.htm[/url] this guide for mine.
ALA I BATAVORUM
If you are interested in the manica (I think that's the appropriate word) of the photo, let me tell you that it is from Tarraco Viva, a reconstruction of the roman world event. Probably the gladiators you see are from Istituto Ars Dimicandi, an Italian re-enactment association very focused on gladiators world. This is its website and I'm sure you could ask yourself about where did they bought it, what period do they re-enact, etc.

PD: To ask it, go to Contatti, then read the EQUIPAGGIAMENTI text. I believe that you must send an e-mail and they will ask your equipment questions.

Hope it helped Big Grin
One of the fabricae of the Ars Demicandi is Vincenzo Pastorelli, which is also here on RAT (user: hephestus). You can see his work on [url:xg1bmajx]http://www.hephestus.net[/url]

I believe the scales on their outfit are to big and yes, the armguard is called a manica.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  making a gladiator belt jvrjenivs 20 12,432 07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible